What does the future hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frangible

Enlightened
Alright, I love my AAA LS and am looking forward to ordering a LS4-P when they become available. (the Surefire L4 is just a bit big to carry around for me)

I'm pretty impressed with the current state of flashlight technology relative to what I was used to (M*g lites). But, in the end, they're just the means to an end of augmenting our natural vision which really doesn't see terribly well in the dark.

I don't really see any technology on the horizon that will make displace flashlights. Image intensification generally either sucks, or is sort of bulky and really expensive, and has a narrow field of view. Thermal imaging isn't really the same thing but has its uses.

So, in the end, we are still left with creating artificial light as one of the best means of seeing in the dark.

Current LED technology is pretty good, and better in some applications than incandescent. But it still has a ways to go. It doesn't scale as well as incandescent and although more effecient, is still inefficient. I'm hoping eventually they'll find better ways of producing white light from a LED rather than coating a blue LED.

Battery technology is still stuck in the stone age. We've been using the same battery types for years, and lithiums aren't clearly better than other types. This doesn't matter too much for flashlight use I suppose; even if a 10x better battery was invented, 50 hours is only so much more useful than 5 hours in a small EDC light. I have hopes for fuel cells here but I'm not sure how well they'd do in this type of application. Time will tell.

In the short term, I'm looking forward to seeing new, more powerful LEDs that run cooler, more white, and more efficiently, and I'd really like a rechargable lithium ion battery that can be swapped out with a standard-size battery if needed.

But, it's hard to tell. Humans aren't getting any better at seeing in the dark, so the need for flashlights is always there.

Just some rambling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frangible, rambling is good.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Better image intensification will come along. I have an idea for a wide angle NVG for example.

Btw, I just posted my LASER ELT idea here.

White LEDS will eventually be UV fired and/or use quantum dot tech. Tri-layer (think Foveon) may work. Tint consistancy will continue to be a big problem until then. LEDs will replace incandescent in most applications.

Lithium cells are improving. The ROI on DL123s is competitive with AA alkalines now. Lithium Ion will grow in use. Fuel cells in cell phones are a bad idea IMHO. NiMH will grow in use and is tops in the ecco-friendly dept.

The killer EDC flashlight? The ever-improving cell phone.

Peter

Frangible

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. Interesting information, and actually I've used my backlit cell phone screen for a ghetto flaslight before :p

Danger_Mouse

Newly Enlightened
As long as the Lithion Ion cells don't spontaneously combust... =| Those suckers get really hot under load.

PeterW

Enlightened
The limits will come down to battery capacity and the efficiency of the source. The limit at the moment for a standard sized flashlight appears to be around 10W. This needs several rechargable D cells and gets hot. 15W has been discounted as needing fans/fins/etc etc. (even streamlight stingers etc only have 10W bulbs in).

The next thing will be efficiency, currently LED and halogen bulbs give around 25lumen/W. This may go up to 50 or more, IE approaching fluorescent lights can get. This will give us more lumens for our 10Watts.

Finally we need to be careful how we spread our lumens around, a big flood or a tiny spot (e.g. 30mm collimator).

At the end of the day, thats it, we can get to 300lumens OK, but much more will require better LEDs. The resulting 'candlepower' of the torch will depend on how tightly you focus the lumens available. Of course people may choose to carry car battery powered 50W LED lights with huge heat sinks and fans etc.... it's easier to go out and buy a car, they come with 2 nice lights attached for free, but they don't fit in yer pocket so easily.

Theres a LOT of money going into LED research, so the futures bright........ plenty for the modders to get their soldering irons into.

PEter W

Frangible

Enlightened
One thing I just thought of is biolumiescence. It's appearently a reaction between two different chemicals and is close to 100% effecient. I'm not sure about the cost of synthesis or overall brightness output, though.

foxalopex

Newly Enlightened
Well Bioluminescence, you're right is 100% efficient more or less thou the problem being you'd need to keep buying refills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm not exactly sure how bright you can get these things too.

Frangible

Enlightened
Well, I'm sure you could store the binary chemicals in small metal cylinders and call them batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Might even be refillable. But again yeah, too many unknowns, I did some googling and there's been no work towards synthesizing it.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
oh man! my flashlight is almost out of juice!
*grimaces and pulls out 8" needle*

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
http://www.fox11az.com/scitech/cybertalk/stories/080503ccptechtechfiles.11a88048d.html

'OLEDs began as weird science, when a Princeton professor discovered he could make pickles light up.

"They took pickles, they put them in saline solution, attached electrodes to them, and they glowed. A dill pickle glowed yellow. A kosher pickle glowed green." — Steven Abramson, president, Universal Display Corp....

I didn't know that!

Scientists predict that LEDs and possibly even OLEDs will be lighting our homes within 10 years.'

LukeK

Enlightened
We did the pickle experimentation in High School Chemistry -- dills really do glow yellow. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.