Would you like Gene Malkoff to reintroduce the M60 drop in?

Would you like Gene to re-introduce an updated M60 optic based drop-in?

• Total voters

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just received a used Malkoff M60 and I've been reminded at how awesome the optic based beam of the M60 is with the nice throw and beautifully smooth 'edgeless' spill beam.

So, would you like Gene to reintroduce the original M60 or an updated M60 if a suitable cutting edge emitter or a suitable optic can be found?
I will vote first and say "Yes!!!!!!!!"

James....:D

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Would you like Gene Malkoff to reintroduce the M60 Optic drop in?

Id like to see more dropins w optics out there
so yeah!

neutral xpg would be my choice!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Would you like Gene Malkoff to reintroduce the M60 Optic drop in?

That Khatod 8˚ optic is about perfect IMO. Small diameter, excellent efficiency, good throw, and great spill from a relatively inexpensive part.

It's probably just a waiting game for Gene as Khatod tools up to make XP-E and XP-G compatible optic holders.

ginaz

Enlightened
used my MD2 with M60 tonight. reminded again how awesome that beam is. i love optics

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good grief, are you telling me he's stopped making them???? :eek:

That would not be good news. Not everone needs the 260 lumens of the M61. (Not that I don't want one...) And those optics beams are so nice.

I hope he makes more M60s, particularly "w" models with the neutral or warm tinted emitters. The M60LW would be great for outdoors stuff like camping, hiking, fishihg, hunting, etc., and can run in the G2 as well as the 6p / C2 hosts.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Of course, I am waiting on the next run of warm M60's and M30's, especially with the Valiant Concepts VME Head. I don't believe that he has stopped producing them but I had heard that he is taking care of his health as a priority and if I am not mistaken, there were quality/tint issues that he was unsatisfied with so he is waiting for the right materials. While I don't personally know Gene, I am quite certain that his commitment to producing a high quality, good value, and durable product are of utmost concern to him.

Nothing wrong with a McGizmo Reflector either but I do totally understand about not needing the 261 Lumens of the M61 all the time.:cool:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with some of the opinions about M60 dropin. I hope Gene will improve the M60!

And about M60: it's easy to be deceived when trying it when it's not really dark (especially indoors), because it's outdoors in the darkness the edgeless wide beam of M60 comes to its right! :)

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
I agree with some of the opinions about M60 dropin. I hope Gene will improve the M60!

And about M60: it's easy to be deceived when trying it when it's not really dark (especially indoors), because it's outdoors in the darkness the edgeless wide beam of M60 comes to its right! :)

This was totally my experience. The M60 was my very first Malkoff dropin and I remember thinking, oh. I was like, I just paid a lot for that "oh". It looked bright, but I didn't think much of it....UNTIL, i took it outside when I was in the country and damn, the throw on it was incredible and super bright, too. now the M60 + VME head with my older sf E2E host has become one of my favorite lights.

I'm actually hoping that he'll not only improve the M60, but also the M30, as well.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was totally my experience. The M60 was my very first Malkoff dropin and I remember thinking, oh. I was like, I just paid a lot for that "oh". It looked bright, but I didn't think much of it....UNTIL, i took it outside when I was in the country and damn, the throw on it was incredible and super bright, too. now the M60 + VME head with my older sf E2E host has become one of my favorite lights.

I'm actually hoping that he'll not only improve the M60, but also the M30, as well.

Yes, the first time I put on my MD2 indoors I thought: well, it's bright but where is the spill...
Then at night outdoors: It just illuminated everything in a very useful way! :twothumbs

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the M60 series, but the M61 is superior in most everyway. (Brighter, more effecient runtime, better regulation, perfect beam quality, up to date emmitter, etc.etc.etc.), what is not to like here? I had several M60's till I settled on the one I have now which was a hand picked model. Most I obtanied showed some type of annoying beam artifact like a slight donut effect in the hotspot, slightly off center emmitter, sometimes the tint was too blue. These were not nearly as bad or numerours as alot of other manufacturers around here. Please dont take this wrong, as I love Malkoff's stuff, and if I had the chance to snag another M60 relatively cheap, I want hesitate to do so. Maybe Gene should give his customers a build upon customer request order option for the M60 series?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
HECK yeah... in all flavors and the M30 too.
The 8 degree hotspot and edge-less side spill are its biggest strengths.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
Haven't seen m61 beam in person, but both cool and nuetral m60's are the best beams evar. I wish the jet iiim used the same optic and it might be the best ui and beam in the universe.

stallion2

Enlightened
it seems like it would be the smart move...demand far exceeds the current supply. i'd like to see the M30 & 60 brought back...

but i would like to see an M61 driven at 1.5A before anything else.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah as much as I can see the useful capabilities of the M61 and the beam it produces, I still wish it the beam was a tad more focused. I also still tend to feel that the beam of the M60 was unique among aftermarket P60LED dropins. It's too bad Cree/Khatod never came out with an optic that can do something similar with the XP-G as it does with the XR-E.

It's not gonna happen, Gene told me personally. The gains don't justify the heat or current draw.

Yup he told me the same thing. I guess people will have to get a Thrunite or Dereelight dropin for more than 1A performance at the moment. NeoFab will be soon be coming out with high quality 1A and 1.5A dropins, so that's something to look forward to as well for us flashaholics.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
image_resize.jsp

I wonder if this Khatod XP-E narrow optic could be adapted for the M60 module?

James....

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
image_resize.jsp

I wonder if this Khatod XP-E narrow optic could be adapted for the M60 module?

James....

The problem with that is space. The reason why the XR-E optic can fit in the space allowed by a P60 module is because the holder for it tapers. The current holders don't taper as you can see in the picture.

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with that is space. The reason why the XR-E optic can fit in the space allowed by a P60 module is because the holder for it tapers. The current holders don't taper as you can see in the picture.
Thanks for the info. You do learn a new thing here everyday!

James....

z17813

Newly Enlightened
the M60 + VME head with my older sf E2E host has become one of my favorite lights.

Yeah I am using the same combination a lot as well, just a really good combination of size, light, build quality etc.
In fact I have mine sitting on the couch next to me atm. Very cool :cool: