iTP A6 Polestar... How to disassemble head?

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
The only thing that's got me stumped with my A6 is how to get the head off the body.

Is the head threaded onto the body, or bonded permanently. I tried to gently unscrew it with just hand power — no go.

There's no specific reason I need to get the head off, but I'm intrigued that this could possibly be one of the only flashlights on the market with a fixed head.

Selfbuilt's excellent review doesn't seem to mention this issue one way or the other:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/252484

The only logical place that I can see a potential seam is immediately between the lens end of the cooling fins and the narrow, circumferentially-grooved 5mm ring next to it.

A6-3.jpg

Any thoughts guys?

—TIA, Jack. :confused:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than applying too much pressure initially in these cases I usually stick the head in boiling water for a minute and then twist the head.

I don't have this particular light but it's a common problem. The hot water helps with the Loctite.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Thanks muchly guys...

I just about popped a blood vessel trying to unscrew this thing, but ultimately, I had to admit defeat! :sweat:

I don't wanna risk using any tools on it, as I don't have any real need to get inside it; was more curiosity. Which killed the cat?

—Cheers, Jack. :)

biggerdog

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I was sorta wondering how to change the switch boot when the time comes.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been watching this thread to see when it changed from "how do I open this light" to "how do I fix the problem". :D

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
I've been watching this thread to see when it changed from "how do I open this light" to "how do I fix the problem". :D

The head disassembly question is purely an academic one now, as its switch has spat the dummy!

And it seems that the switch isn't user-serviceable.

...knew I shoulda got the TK40. Obviously, one gets what one pays for in the LED flashlight game.

—Jack. :(

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head disassembly question is purely an academic one now, as its switch has spat the dummy!

And it seems that the switch isn't user-serviceable.

...knew I shoulda got the TK40. Obviously, one gets what one pays for in the LED flashlight game.

—Jack. :(

I don't know what "spat the dummy" means but I take it it's not good!

At $80 I don't think that's a cheap light. I'm sure it's a hassle to send it back to where ever you bought it but you should get it repaired/replaced at no cost.

Did the switch just completely quite working?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what "spat the dummy" means but I take it it's not good!

At $80 I don't think that's a cheap light. I'm sure it's a hassle to send it back to where ever you bought it but you should get it repaired/replaced at no cost.

Did the switch just completely quite working?
'Spat the dummy' is an Aussie term for when a pissed off crying baby spits out his/her pacifier.