M300A or X300

Vlobb

Newly Enlightened
I want to add a light to a combat shotgun (870P) and I'm considering two different models, the M300A Mini Scout and X300 Surefire lights. (Surefire is the only brand I want to go with.) I want a light that can be put on and taken off in seconds so the dedicated forend light is out and these are the two best models I could find for this application. It will be attached via magazine clamp w/picatinny rail but I'm not quite sure which model to go with. There isn't a real weight or space advantage between the two as they are pretty equal in weight and length. Surefire's web-site currently lists the X300 as 170 Lumens and the M300A at 110 lumens but all the X300's I've found for sale are listed as 110 lumens so I guess that's equal as well. The only thing I would do with the M300A is add LaRue's LT-172 mount which adds another $80 to the price but that's worth it.

So with all that said, which model would you chose and why?

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
If you want easy-on / easy-off, then the X300 is what you want, but since this is for a shotty, I'm questioning the practicality of the switch activation and placement of the light.

Shotguns are best with tape switches, (you need to keep your hand near the activator switch, racking a slide will move your hand away from any push-button switches and will be difficult to "find" them). There is a tape switch avaliable for the X300, but comes with the M300 IIRC. So include that in your price.

The x300 also closely "hugs" the rail, so on a shotgun, if it is placed far from the end of the barrel, it will cast a nasty shadow, or blind spot in a tactical application. The idea is to get it offset a little bit, or at least as close to the end of the muzzle as possible (where it will foul an X300 quickly).

I'm voting M300. If you need to switch it between one weapon and another, just save and buy the right light for that job. I don't see how an X300 is going to NOT cast a significant shadow, or quickly become occluded from carbon buildup from muzzle-blast. And of course, then there is the activation issue.

Both lights are more than bright enough. If they don't have the same output as each other already, I'd be surprised.

I do switch my X200 between pistol and rifle often, but I think a shotgun demands a slightly different approach, but I may be wrong as I don't have direct experience with the lights on the shotguns except for the dedicated forearms.

Last edited:

Vlobb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for some feedback. The activation, fouling and shadows are all concerns I initially had about the X300. I'm also worried about it holding up to the forces of a SG's recoil. The Mini Scout looks and feels a bit stronger and I think it could take more abuse.