Maxa Beam in Jurasic Park

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was flipping channels last night and came upon Jurasic Park. I started watching right at the part when the power goes down, and everyone is stuck in the Ford Explorers. Well when T-Rex comes the young girl digs through the safety kit and pulls out a flashlight. Not just any light mind you but a Maxa Beam. A few minutes later in the movie two other characters show up using them too. Anyway it's a great way for people to see the awesome MB in action.

Funny thing: Throughout the movie the old guy who created the Park keeps saying he spared no expense. He says it like a dozen time about different things. I guess that holds true about the flashlights as well!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
jp1.jpg

They are more common than you would think on TV and the movies. They even use them in that odd SciFi show Farscape.

You notice these things when you`re obsessed by them like I am
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I saw the Maxabeam in Jurassic Park the other day too..I was wondering how they got it to be so dim..even set at 'just' a million candlepower it should have overexposed things it lit up only six feet away, and these were dimly lit scenes too..I think they may have had some special dim ones made..or maybe they can be made dimmer than I thought? Or maybe they put a neutral density filter over the camera lens? (doubt that last one)
..or maybe that's the LED version?
yellowlaugh.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would be surprised at how bright a night-time movie set can be. A Maxabeam in the low setting can look quite dim amidst tens of kilowatts of blue filtered halogen and halide light, and a camera with its iris closed down a few stops so it looks dark on screen.

Infact the average stock flashlight can often hardly show up at all. Just one reason why the big bright ones like the Maxabeams, Surefires and Streamlights are favored on screen. That and the fact that they look cool as an added bonus
grin.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
hmm i keep hearing about the maxabeam.....can someone tell me more about them? like who makes them, how much they cost, and where can they be bought?

and that i know those are maxabeams, i myself have seen them in countless movies and tv shows
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Maxabeams are the mecca of flashlights. Ok, so they're hardly an Arc AAA in durability or portability but when it comes to brightness they can't be beat. They are like a 1 million candle power light, only it's like 15 million. They have a 4-way programmable thumb button on top that can be used to control the digital dimmer or electronically driven reflector (focus).

They are quite expensive at $1500+

Did I leave anything out?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find some pictures of the Maxabeam and a review by a fellow CPF member Here

Sf111.jpg

Santa, If your reading this can I have one for christmas.....Please Please Please
smile.gif

Ratso

Enlightened
I noticed in the TV series "Monk" on ABC that in the first episode Monk and his partner used a MaxaBeam with a "special red detecto filter" that made blood, body fluids, and other things visible to the naked eye. It was just a red filter and I noticed a small but perfectly circular hole in the very center of the beam. I guess that was on the widest setting, but I'm not sure.

nihraguk

Enlightened
is the maxabeam the light with the UV filter that blade used to zap vampires in blade 1?
smile.gif
and btw, why do UV lights in tv shows always have to have the "bzzzz" sound? i was always under the impression all you had to do was slap a UV filter in front of a regular light and you'll have a UV light. is it just another inaccuracy, along with surefires that click on and glocks that have clicking safeties?

Panzerfaust

Newly Enlightened
"BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"
"Bite this, Dracula!"
tongue.gif

Call it dramatic liscense, like those Glocks with safeties.
Funny--the first time I noticed a "high end" flashlight was in the horror flick "House" when William Katt used a Pelican Super Saberlite to illuminate what was hiding in that upstairs closet.
As for the Maxabeams...they look high-tech cool on screen and only Flashaholics on this forum know that they cost $1500.
wink.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
oh btw, if the flashlight used in blade was really the maxabeam, there's one scene where it gets smashed up
smile.gif
they sure have a generous budget huh?

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Made it through most of the four hour 'Jim Henson's Jack and the Beanstalk' with my kids yesterday (made infinitely more pleasant by the luscious Mia Sara). Anyway, there was a brief scene where they were in the catacombs beneath the castle and grabbed a couple of MaxaBeams.

Pretty neat light. A salesman came to my workplace back when they were first released (in the 80's, I believe). We didn't buy any, but they were fun to play with!

GR