Moding a Black and Decker 6V lantern, ideas?

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
I really like this black and decker 6v lantern i picked up at walmart for $7. Figured it'd be a nice in the trunk light in my car but then decided i want more output. Need some ideas with it. I can't find any pics online but its pretty much a standard 6v lantern that runs on d batteries.

model99er

Newly Enlightened
They are a neat sorta light, especially for the price (heck I bought 2 of em). :)

I'm considering a low cost mod or two myself, prolly just switching to a different bulb and switching to a rechargable (Game Feeder type) 6 volt lantern battery for starters. :whistle:

99er

bowlingblogger

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new to these forums but have learned so much from lurking already. I got one of these lanterns (model no. is BDBEAM-B, $7.88 at my local Wally World) and love it. (The picture is to make sure you're talking about the same one.)

I'm not much of a modder (yet?), but I did put a Mag-num Star Xenon 4D bulb in it and it seems brighter now (certainly whiter anyway, and a cleaner flood). I put the original one in the spare bulb holder on the underside of the panel that holds the bulb in place.

I also took out the 4D battery adapter that came with it and put a Rayovac 808 6v lantern battery in it. They are cheap F-cell batteries (about $6) that should really extend the runtime.

A factoid: these lanterns are actually made by Rayovac.