Flying with modest light collection?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so this is not another TSA post.

Im curious how you flashaholics bring your light fix with you on a trip.

I dont mean a scant 3-6 lights on you or in your backpack. but a substantially more modest collection of liek 10-15 lights. What about larger lights like a SF M6 or a maglight?

How would you bring that? Risk putting them in your check in luggage?

Im paranoid that someone will steal my expensive lights.

But Im also worried that TSA will raise a substantial eyebrow if I try to carry on a pelican case full of lights.

help me with this dilemma.

Newly Enlightened
Maybe get a written letter saying its ok from TSA and carry it with you.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just wrap them up together in a place TSA can easily check. They won't care how many. I usually just pile my toys (radios, cameras, lights) together in the carry-on.

Geoff

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last trip to florida, I took my pelican 1520 filled with about 15+ lights.
After going throught the X-ray, I was asked to wait and the guy called over a few TSA agents.
Next thing I know there are about 8+ TSA guys standing around looking at all my stuff.
The Surefire Hellfighter was the one that got most attention.
They asked me why I needed so many lights. My reply was kept short and simple "because I like flashlights"
I was set free after about a 10 minute wait while they checked each one out.
Just make sure not to take anything long like a 4-D maglight as it could be considered a "club-like weapon".
Most of my lights were small.
I NEVER do the checked bag thing....ALWAYS do carry-on if you don't want anything stolen.
Good luck!

headers

Newly Enlightened
I think a helpful thing is to use the TSA approved gun checkin procedure. You do not need to have a gun, just a receiver will do and it obviously only works for checked luggage.

When you check in you have to declare you are flying with guns. They then look in at the unloaded gun or whatever and you get to seal up your hardcase with a non-TSA approved lock (i.e. a relatively secure one). Nobody is allowed to look inside that case for any reason without you present from that point on.

This has the triple advantage that your gear will be secure from theft, it will be given special handling and be less likely to be lost, and while they are performing the gun check procedure the lights will just raise a small eyebrow or moderate jealousy, rather than idiotic questions.

S

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
good to know. Hmm I guess I cant bring my 6cell maglight then hahaha. I was a little worried about my SF M900 as it can look like a handgun from afar.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
If your lights are worth anything, carry them rather than checking them in the hold - bags get chucked around and can unfortunately go missing sometimes, so anything expensive comes with me hand luggage.

As for TSA, I can't see why they would have a problem - they will probably want to open the case and check what you have, but unless you have any particularly sharp defense bezels or anything they are just flashlights...