Surefire G2 vs Scorpion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
They're both very similar in price at Botach, I was thinking of getting one... but which one?

I would assume both are similar in light output, as they're pretty much direct competitors. Both chew thru 2x123's per hour, pocketable size, and made in US.

SuRgE

Enlightened
G2 is brighter with the P61 lamp although runtime is only 20 minutes. I got my G2 at Botach last week and I installed the P61 lamp. I now use this compact powerhouse for my nightstand torche.

I don't own the scorpion yet, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Scorpion has adjustable focus if you need that.

Can't decide, GET BOTH!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The following is a true story:

I have the Scorpion and had the unexpected pleasure of showing it to an acquaintance last week who had just pulled out his brand new G2. He didn't know I was into lights as I reached into my car and retrieved the Scorpion from the console.
I had a feeling the Scorpion would be brighter after having just seen his G2's beam. When I turned it on (we were in a dark parking garage) the poor young guys head went down, he actually kicked the ground and said, "Awh, I wanted the smallest and brightest!" I laughed and put my hand on his shoulder to console him. "35 bucks", I said. He had paid 50 for the G2. I think I was consoling him.
The Scorpion was noticably brighter, and just as important to many, noticably whiter. The G2's beam looked yellow next to it. This of course would have been the stock P60 assembly.
Now I am probably biased at this point, but when I handled the G2, the grip ridges that it is covered with felt, well, bumpy. I prefer the warm, smelly Scorpion rubber instead.
I would like to think I am the type to praise lights I like rather than knock those I don't, so let me just say that in this unrehearsed, impromptu comparison the Scorpion was the clear winner, not only in my eyes, but in the eyes of a new SureFire owner.
Before the prices leveled out, it seems the Scorpion was a brighter, whiter light for less money. Now it appears it is a brighter, whiter light.
No other comparisons of features or lack thereof are made here because they aren't in my story.

Jim

kev1-1

Enlightened
I'd go with SureFire's every time! Have you looked at the M2?
grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also noticed that the Scorpion is whiter than both P60 & P61, even when I swap batteries. The scorpion bulbs are not suppose to last as long but they are less than $4 were the P60 cost $16. The Scorpion comes with an extra bulb and has a focusable beam and Surefire's focus is set.

The G2's body will hold up longer but I agree that the rubber scorpion body feels better. If I were you, I don't know which one I would get.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scorpion has a clickie switch which is more convenient for the constant-on mode. It is also of all-metal construction (under the rubber grip) which should give it better strength.

Either one would be a good choice. But if you are a confirmed flashaholic anyway, you may consider skipping over these and going straight to the smaller SureFire E2 or E2e. Cheaper in the long-run than buying both.

WhiteAsSnow

Newly Enlightened
>>>>"It is also of all-metal construction (under the rubber grip) which should give it better strength."

Better strength? Not so sure. Al?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Scorpion (in my jacket pocket right now), but there is something I like even better about "plastic" flashlights. They don't ding, corrode, dent, scratch, etc. If well constructed they generally take "whacks" better than their metal counterpart since the plastic tends to be more resilient. That said, I like the clickie on the Scorpion more than the "twist on" surefire tailcap, but that's personal preference.

I'll have a G2 soon (I expect) to do a side-by-side comparison.

FNG

Enlightened
I have a Scorpion and I like it. Its on its 6th set of batteries on the original bulb and still running strong.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Either one would be a good choice. But if you are a confirmed flashaholic anyway, you may consider skipping over these and going straight to the smaller SureFire E2 or E2e. Cheaper in the long-run than buying both.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have the Scorpion and love it. I keep holding back on buying the E2 even though I love the way they look and the size. I don't see how it's cheaper in the long run? Cost is more than twice as much, bulbs are 4 times as much and is it any brighter, or will it last longer? Has anyone worn out a Scorpion or an E2 for us to really know their durability? I know the E2 Elite has the Pyrex lens which is much better. I have changed out the lens of my Scorpion to a mineral watch crystal to compensate. I will end up buying an E2 but I have not seen anything concrete that indicates to me it's a better buy in the long run. I forgot about the Surefire warranty, something to consider. For pretty and size E2 wins. IMHO for value it's the Scorpion. Bottom line, you need all of them.

Slightly off topic. I got a friend to buy himself a Scorpion and he told me it's the best blood trail light he has ever seen. (for deer) He could not tell me why but I suspect it's because of the very white beam. He was using a 5D mag for tracking prior to the Scorpion. He did kill a set of batteries while tracking though and was not carry spares, lucky he had his ARC AAA I had given him for his birthday. He was 2 miles deep in the woods at 10PM and alone.

notos&w

Enlightened
i think he meant it is cheaper to buy just the e2e (first) rather than the g2 or scorpion AND the e2e later.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by notos&w:
i think he meant it is cheaper to buy just the e2e (first) rather than the g2 or scorpion AND the e2e later.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, that's what I meant. I agree the Scorpion would be more economical compared to an Executive if it's not just a stepping-stone to the more pocketable light.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I don't know about the G2 but I love my Scorpions, I've got 3 and with the adjustable beam they throw farther than my SF C3. I only got the C3 cause they're real pretty and wasn't that expensive (Ebay $71.00 NIB). My SF is a great light but its at home in a drawer while my Scorpion is always with me.
I got mine here: $30.99 fast delivery too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=734065036

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Originally posted by Lurker:
But if you are a confirmed flashaholic anyway, you may consider skipping over these and going straight to the smaller SureFire E2 or E2e. Cheaper in the long-run than buying both.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A "CONFIRMED FLASHAHOLIC" would own both!!
grin.gif

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
My scorpion, when at the best tightest beam patern, has kind of a loose head. if you look, you can see the silver, because in order to have it focused well, you have to unscrew it a bit, and the rubber doesn't go all the way up. Is this how it is supposed to be? Because if you screw it in nice and tight, and have it sealed, then you have that flood pattern? Otherwise I LOVE the scorpion, especially for $30 you can't go wrong, $4 bulbs, and a spare one at that...so far I've went through two sets of batteries and not had to change the bulb...

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I figured out the problem. I had to take the head assembly off, and use a bit of elbow grease and "pry" the rubber back up so that the built on "O-ring" would go underneath the head assembly.

Great light, I love it! Scorpion gets my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.