Waterproofness compromised when using a Mad Max?

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I recently put in an order for my firt LS light. A Mad Max Q3 module. Along with mineral glass and a kroll switch, of course. My question. Does using this module in a minimag compromise the minimags waterproofness at all? Or does the head still completely seal the same? How about a Legend 2AA. Any compromises with that body? On a side note, does the mineral glass fit in the Legend 2AA?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
electronics4life,

Dat2zip's modules do not affect the stock O-ring seal arrangement or cap seal. IMO, minimags are only water resistant.

Larry

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
The original minimag has O-rings on all the joints, therefore it should survive a fair depth under water. When modded with a Luxeon module, people typically use a NX-05 optic to replace the reflector. Unfortunately the MiniMag bezel doesn't fit the NX-05 well so you have to do some tweaking like putting in an extra O-ring, place the NX-05 behind the glass lens, or glue things in place, etc. I think that's when you started compromising the water resistance. I haven't used a Kroll switch myself, so I can't comment on its water resistant capability.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My converted MiniMags are probably not very water resistant. I remove the lens and let the optics rest against the front o-ring. I add a o-ring behind the optic to keep the optic in place. Everything seems to fit better this way. I don't worry about scracthing the front of the optic.

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
I didn't realize that so many "tweaks" were needed to get the module to fit. Does the Legend 2AA require the same "tweaks"?

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
No real "tweaks" are required with the Mini-Mag. It is really easy to install; only one extra o-ring is required and it is included with your parts.

Check out the Drop in sandwich Installation Instructions.

I personally prefer the Brinkmann Legend 2AA but truly installation in either light is a breeze. Since you already have a Mini-Mag and have a Kroll switch coming, I would go with the Mag if I were you.

Pat

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I just checked two sandwiches (1MM+Q3 & 1BBQ3L) & the lens
seems to be as secure as on the original MiniMag. I think
like the others said these are water resistant & not water
proof. These are both with the mineral glass & the Kroll
switch. I don't have the Legend, but I understand that the
parts are interchangeable.

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
Good to here that the additional o-ring is included. I do have a mini mag light, but was planning on buying a brand new silver one for the module. My current mini mag is black and all scratched up. Still debating if I should get the legend or the new mini mag. The kroll switch would not go to waste as I have a different mini mag to use it on. The only thing that could be wasted is the 3rd mineral glass lens I ordered. Does this fit the legend?

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Waterproofness compromised when using a Mad Ma

Yes, the lense fits the Legend, too. I have a MM+ in a Brinkmann. Like you, I read the threads and was convinced that the Brinkmann was the way to go. I bought two, have modded one and will be adding a sandwich to the other in a day or two. I will also be adding one to the only Mag that I have. I kept it only to mod it and to be able to compare it to the Legend. The kroll is completed watertight if installed properly from what I've read. I think that is the only weakness of the Brinkmann. As much as I like the tailswitch, I don't see how it can be watertight.