Help identify this Kathmandu dual function Rebel 50 hand torch

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
50603556.jpg

I've bought one of these as gift so I can't open up the package to test it but has anyone seen one these repackaged as something else?

Basically it has a reflector which slides up and down with a lens on the end. When up, it acts as a lantern. It uses a Luxeon Rebel 50 stating 60 lumens for 1.5 hours on 1 AA.

I'd like to know if when in torch mode, is it a good clean beam? How much glare is there in lantern mode? Anything else as to why I shouldn't get one for myself?

I am giving this as a birthday gift in around 2 months but currently its on sale at half price and I think the sale is finishing soon. Any comments are welcome.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Are you in NZ or Aus?

I have had a play with that light & I have to say that it is rather disappointed with it & was not prepared to pay the NZ$75 for it.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
While I will agree with you that yes some of their products are over priced/hyped but then there are some very good items that they sell.

I have a cosmopolis (?) I think is the name of the bag, this bag has lasted ~7 years of EDC. The bag quite often had very heavy loads in &/or being subjected to mud, dust, rain etc and it still looks near new.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
75 NZD is still better than what they were selling it for. It was 64 AUD before the sale and you win on exchange rate.

The square spot is a bit annoying. Not sure that its worth it for just the lantern function. There looks like theres some light thats wasted when its in lantern mode with the hole and the back of the reflector not being a good reflective surface.

Kathmandu has some nice coats though. I have an eco fleece coat that has been with me for decades but that might not be unique to kathmandu.

ama230

Enlightened
there is another light put there that is way cheaper and lasts alot longer on a battery. countycomm.com sells it and its called the mightylite. There is alot of variations of companies selling the same lite but for 20 or $30 or 40US. This light only costs 12bucks and is made of great quality. It is a solid 26lumens and uses the nichia regal and has a great white color that most havent seen yet. It has a abs shell with an aluminum cover ans uses a single aa and lasts more than 5hours with great regulation. You could buy 6 of these and save a few bucks. These are great i have one for personal and i gave one to my mother for her camping trips and works better than anticipated.

Hope this helps...

mightylight11large.JPG

mightylite4large.jpg

mightylight13large.JPG

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
The only down side to CC is that they only sell to the USA.

hazna - another reason why they have so many sales is to get rid of old versions of stock before introducing a new version.

I have a gore-tex jacket that is V2 & that was brought 4 years ago, the same jacket is up to V4.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think those version numbers are a good idea. Their prices are mostly OK when they have a 50% sale.