Need help with my L1

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Just bought an L1 LumaMax last week and I'm having some trouble with it. I just took it apart to lube everything up and now it doesn't work. Any ideas (tried a couple different batts already). I notice that the switch assembly is rattling around loose in the tailcap--is this normal? Anyway, I'd appreciate some advice. I know it's probably something stupid that I did--just need someone to point out exactly what that is.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
And jtivat is the winner of the "guess how dumb ZENGHOST is contest." Man, it only had a tiny little bit more to turn but I guess it made the difference between working and not working.

Thanks, guys--and while I'm asking dumb questions, the L1 head will work on my E2, right? Just want to make sure before I try it out.

ps...I expected it to be dumb--but not that dumb... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a dumb question as it needs to be much tighter than any other light I own. I am not sure about the E2 thing can an LS take 6 volts? Not sure you will need to ask one of the Mod guys.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that I would try it on the E2. It should fit, but 6 volts would probably make the magic smoke leak out. Remember the electronics on the L1 are in the body, not the head, so you would be direct driving it at the full 6 volts which I think would be bad.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Ah--so it wasn't that dumb a question after all. I didn't realize the electronics were in the body. I had (wrongly) thought that the L1 head was the same as the KL1. Good thing I asked first.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
While I'm at it--is there any substantial difference between the L1 and the E1+KL1? They have slightly different specs on the Surefire site: "E1/E1e Runtime: 16 lumens max output for 1.5 hours, followed by 8.5 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimal output" & L1 "Output/Runtime - High beam runtime approx. five hours with 15 lumens maximum output. Low beam runtime approx. 50 hours."

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightness and runtime in the hi beam mode will probably be very close to the same as the KL1. I think that what they mean with the '5 hours hi beam runtime' is 5 hours of output brighter than the low mode, not 5 hours at the full brightness. There is just not that much juice in the battery. Based on the white one that I used to have, I suspect that if you just turn it on and let it sit it will run nice and bright for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours, with lots of low power light left after that.

I have a green L1, and I love it. It is my main 'big' EDC light. I ran my 1st battery for about a month of intermitent use. I have never run a battery all the way down in it to see how long it will go in low mode. I found with the green that the low mode was VERY useful, so I did not fire up the full power mode much at all unless I was outside at night. I think ultimately you will find that your batteries last longer in the L1 since you can use the low mode many times you would otherwise have to run the KL1 full power.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Thanks, man--very useful info. I think I'll hold off on the E1E+KL1 that I was thinking of getting and put that money towards something else.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've been using various Luxeons rather than the A2 - the L1 is actually the one I carry around the house.

I have an L1-BK-RD coming from Tim as soon as he can get one. I find the low output red LEDs of the A2 very useful.

I agree - most of the time the low output of the L1 is enough for inside the house use. Sometimes though the L1 main is not nearly bright enough.

The L4 is my EDC but I change when I get home so I carry the L1 around.

Al

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I bought the L1 based on the SF claim on their website that it would last for five hours of "usable light" on high. My mistake. I never asked what that phrase actually meant. Revolvergeek was correct that the actual runtime at the high brightness level in actually about 75 minutes. Look in the instruction booklet and they give you a chart of the output over time. I was somewhat disappointed. The L1 head is "approximately" the same size as the E1e but I don't think it will fit on the body. Similarly, I think I tried the tail cap of the L1 on the Executive series and it doesn't fit either. On my E2e with the KL1 head, there is a perceptible, but not very significant (to my old eyes), difference between the output of the KL1 and the L1 on high with the L1 being marginally brighter. It is supposedly the difference between 19 lumens and 17 lumens (L1 on high and KL1 respectively). Unfortunately, if you use the L1 on low beam a lot, you'll go to use the high beam sometime and find that it doesn't work because the battery is depleted to the the point that there is not enough juice to power the high beam.

In my opinion, the L1 just doesn't do what I thought it would. I really feel that Surefire dropped the ball on this one by (in my opinion) publishing misleading specs on their website. The high beam doesn't last long enough to be useful for any prolonged activity if you were counting on that much light. The low beam is useful if your eyes are fully dark adapted and you're just trying to not stub your toe in your house at night. If the light had been made to use 2 123's the run time would have been more in line with what I erroneously thought SF meant in their literature.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zenghost,

I had a heck of a time getting my L1 back together (working) as well.

I really like the L1 and use it all the time, mostly on low. However, the higher output at the push of the switch is really handy.

I would certainly pass on the KL1 if you have an L1. What I'd probably suggest is a bright light to suppliment the L1. I have an SF M2, but if I was shopping now, I'd probably look at the L4. FWIW, I EDC the M2 and L1 and it has been a great combination.

Crash,

Sorry to hear that. I pretty much assumed the runtime would be similar to the KL1 on one cell so had different expectations. You could probably sell your L1 in the buy-sell section and pick up an E2+KL1 which would get your runtime up there a bit. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is a two cell, dual level, 1W light available yet.

-john

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
John N /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Thou speakest sacrilege! Sell a flashlight??? That would be like selling a gun.

No I use the L1 and it is well made as are all of the SF's products but it'll never go on a camping trip and it will never be an EDC light for me. I'd rather carry two lights (which I do anyway) to serve the low output/high output requirements.

Bill