Pelican Super Mitylite

Velcro

Enlightened
Anyone own a Pelican Super Mitylite?

If so, what do you like or dislike about it? What kind of a bulb does it use? How bright is it? What's the beam quality like? And how does it compare against a Mini Mag 2AA (if you have one)?

Greetings,
Velcro

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave one away as gift. And got to play with it a while. Other than fit, finish and rugged design I wasn't impressed. It is bright for a 2AA but has a narrow beam. And not as bright as I expected.

I have the VersaBrite 2 which has the same lamp assembly with a different spring setup. I've tried Mitylite and M7 lamp assemblies to try and spruce it up. I'm still not satisfied.

If you need a waterproof light I recommend you look at the 4AA offerings. If you need 2AA and divelight-like qualities aren't necessary go with the Mini-Maglite 2AA and a Brinkmann xenon lamp.

Another one to look at is the Princeton Tec Rage. It's a 4AAA dive light. Very impressive brightness and beam quality for a $10-$12 light. The only downside is AAA batteries don't give much runtime compared to AA, C and D.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Velcro,
I don't have a Mitylite but have kicked around the idea of a magnum plus (pelican)
But have been advised as DavidW said the beam is very tight and does not illuminate very much. I love having a tailcap switch like my e2. I want a magnum plus but don't want something I don't like. I do have a princeton tec Rage, Its bright and has a good beam but has no tail switch. It's a great light for 10 bucks.

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have three Mitylites. I gave one away on perminant loan,

One is in the glovebox.

The third just blow it's Lamp when I put the batteries back in it.

Hmmm.

The only Pelicans I've never lost a Lamp in are my two StealthLites which have taken more than their fair share or abuse
[touch wood - fortunately, I have a wooden desk 60" wide and 37" deep which was my Grandfather's drafting board. It was 10" wider, but I had to cut it to fit]

The narrow beam of my Pelican Magnum makes it virtually useless. It's got a very nice bright white beam (with flaws of course) but still, it stays in my spares case.

All the Pelicans I have are superbly waterproof.

Al

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
quick note:
I have read that diving lights *should* be tight beam lights because the water (and stuff in the water) scatter the beam significantly.
My experience is consistent with this, but I don't have a lot of experience.

I also own a Pelican light, Super Sabrelite 3C cell. I have tested it by keeping it underwater for 24 hours. No leakage.

Different story on a Turtlelite 1. Leaked about 2 thimblefuls of water in a day.

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
[QB]I gave one away as gift. And got to play with it a while. Other than fit, finish and rugged design I wasn't impressed. It is bright for a 2AA but has a narrow beam. And not as bright as I expected.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you ment that it is bright for a 2AAA, right?
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If you need a waterproof light I recommend you look at the 4AA offerings. If you need 2AA and divelight-like qualities aren't necessary go with the Mini-Maglite 2AA and a Brinkmann xenon lamp.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a matter of fact, I was also thinking that a 2AA Mini Mag with the Brinkmann Xenon lamp is the way to go for a general 2AA non-dive flashlight. I already have the Maglite, now I'm looking for a source in The Netherlands to get the Brinkmann lamp.

Btw, thanks for the input guys. I also have some questions about the Streamlight Propolymer 2AA, but I'll ask them under a different topic.

Greetings,
Velcro

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi!

What is this Brinkmann Xenon Lamp for? Is ist a brighter lamp for a MiniMag? I dint know there would be an alternative to the standard lamp. Sounds very interesting. Where can I order and/or see data?

Thanx!

phantomas2002

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right Velcro. I was thinking MityLite Magnum. (Previously named SuperDuper MityLite. Yeah, that's it
grin.gif
). The Super MityLite is an excellent light. But bulky. You can take off the shroud but then body extends a little bit beyond the lens. The better solution would be to get the MityLite and replace the bulb/reflector assembly with the part for the Super MityLite. That's what I did with mine. It's an exact replacement. The extra bulk isn't there and you have a bright light.

Compared to the UKE 2AAA and the Mini-Pocket (side-by-side version) the Super MityLite is about the same brightness. The UKE's have a slightly better beam quality. But not much. I see a size/packaging advantage in the UKE Mini-Pocket. Which brings us to the Princeton Tec Blast. I think the beam is far superior than the either the Pelican or UKE. Awe heck, buy them all
grin.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bucky

Enlightened
I would have to advise against the Pelican MityLite Magnum as well, unless you intend to use it for scuba diving. The small, tight beam is quite bright, but useless for most general tasks.

I was really excited when I received my MityLite Magnum because of the quoted candlepower output by Pelican. Now, I have relegated the light to glovebox duty and hardly ever use it. It is bright and waterproof, but the positives end there. IMO, my Mini-Mag is a better overall light.

Bucky