"FCC" Engraving on KL4

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

FCC? Maybe it's FCC certified not to interfer with other devices and also accept interference from others. (since it might make RF waves/disturbance with the booster circuit.)

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FC Engraving on KL4

Maybe it is a specially engraved one that was supposed to go to FC.
fc934bb0.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Pat

rdwilson

Newly Enlightened
Re: \"FC\" Engraving on KL4

That's the FCC logo alright. Since the L4 is digital, it has the potential to cause EMI / RFI. I did a little research and failed to find "type acceptance" for a flashlight. There are, however, numerous references to minimum emission requirements for a great many devices.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rdwilson said:
That's the FCC logo alright. Since the L4 is digital, it has the potential to cause EMI / RFI. I did a little research and failed to find "type acceptance" for a flashlight. There are, however, numerous references to minimum emission requirements for a great many devices.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it isn't the FCC logo (because I don't know).
But if it is, shouldn't it really say "FCC" instead of just "FC"? It seems like having both of the "C's" in there would be pretty important. I've never heard of the IRS being called the "IR". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The government is usually quite a stickler for this sort of thing.

Peter

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crap, and I just got all exited.
susel.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Mystery solved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I looked at my KL4, but there is no "F" on there at all. Ray, is this the one I just sent you?

Peter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Re:

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
Mystery solved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I looked at my KL4, but there is no "F" on there at all. Ray, is this the one I just sent you?

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It was on the KL4 that I got from Dan at TW, as part of the KL4/E1E package.

Luminati

Newly Enlightened
Re:

Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) testing is required in the EC; that is why the L4 has the CE mark; rules are a little more easy over here. Check out

http://ftp.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/PART15_3_13_03.pdf

For FCC rules on this issue (esp. 15.29 and 15.3). BTW the PETZL MYO 5 and TIKKA PLUS (+ variants) have been tested to the European EMC directive...issues with interference with specific devices (mainly avalanche transceivers and cell phones) are noted in the technical notice for the product. We recently had requests about the compatibility of our lights with pacemakers!

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Actually the engineering in the USA is much more difficult, because the CE rules are joke, and a bad one at that.

EC requires that you live with whatever envirornment you are in. You are free to Electromagnetically pollute that envirornment, and everyone else has to live with it. If you cause interference with the TV next door, obviously the TV next door in not in compliance with the EC directives.

If you think about that for a moment, you realize it is not a practical approach. How you design for EMI/RFI that you have never seen before? In effect EC rules are really non-rules.

The Germans recognized that problem years ago, and the German Standards for VDE A and VDE B correspond well to FCC B and FCC A respectively. I.E. if you are FCC B compliant, odds are you are going to be VDE A compliant as well. Our FCC A report was done by a range that was also VDE approved, and a result we got VDE B and FCC A in one trip.

While FCC A is just good engineering practices, compliance for FCC B has to be designed in from the outset. Either FCC A or FCC B is almost certain to be CE compliant, however there is no assurance at all the CE compliance will be VDE, or FCC compliant. FCC rules severely limit radiated and conducted EMI/RFI. So if your equipment messes up the TV next door, you are probably the one out of compliance.

For FCC B, you have to go out on a Test Range, and the FCC licensed Test range has to submit a formal report that you are in compliance with FCC the Class B standard. At that point the FCC will issue you a compliance number. If you are subsequently found not to be in compliance, the FCC fines both you AND the test range.

The result if most Test ranges require that you not merely pass the B standard, you pass it by a wide margin, so no matter how badly you mess up the assembly, it is still likely to comply.

FCC A is self certifying, you go to an FCC certified range, and get a report certifying FCC Class A compliance, and just keep it in your files. From personal experience, FCC Class A compliance requires not much more then just very good engineering practices. However I am amazed at how many supposedly FCC A products do not pass. You into that problem when you are trying to test your equipment on the test range, and discover you cannot pass, because some other equipment you need doesn't. I have never seen a Class A CRT that actually met the standard.

This is one of the problems the Kumkang light probably has.
The ballasts and igniters used in cars are exempt from Part 15 controls, however and hand held flashlight probably isn't, so odds are the current Kumkang design cannot pass the FCC testing.

Tomas

Banned
Re: FCC Engraving on KL4

Thank you, Matthew. Informative and Interesting (I was looking for my moderation button to rate your post - I was just over at Slashdot moderating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

I need to dig into whatever info the FCC has on-line dealing with A and B certifications, just for interest.

T_sig6.gif