whats the most powerfull led

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i see 5 watts mentioned a lot is it the most powerfull? and how fast does the technolgy improve ? surely not as fast as cpu technogly. would be cool to have leds replaceing are 100 watts incandescents.

Entropy

Enlightened
Right now the Luxeon Vs. I've heard rumors of 10W LEDs coming from another manufacturer. Also there was recent news of a high-efficiency Nichia. While only in the 1-2W range, it's supposedly 2x the lumens/watt of the average Luxeon.

Frangible

Enlightened
LED technology improves rather slowly. I have an L4, while it's a great/powerful etc flashlight you can feel the inefficiencies in the heat output.

I wonder how cheap it would be to synthesize the chemicals used in biolumescence en masse and make batteries out of those-- that's almost perfect effeciency.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Blaster II (1 watt LS) blows away my pathetic M*g 3D, and the battery and bulb life are much better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Frangible said:
I have an L4, while it's a great/powerful etc flashlight you can feel the inefficiencies in the heat output.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about the heatsinking... talk to Roth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frangible

Enlightened
Point I was making was heat's a sign of ineffeciency -- it means some of your power is being used to create heat, not light. I like LEDs (why else would I spend $100+ on a flashlight?) but the technology can definately be improved on.

glen

Newly Enlightened
12 watts, and available today.
you see...
If a 1 watt LS with a big heat sink is a 3watt LS, then I suppose a 5watt L, which is 4 1 watters, could be a 12 watter.
I am sure someone can shoot this idea down, as I am not an engineer.

Entropy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
glen said:
12 watts, and available today.
you see...
If a 1 watt LS with a big heat sink is a 3watt LS, then I suppose a 5watt L, which is 4 1 watters, could be a 12 watter.
I am sure someone can shoot this idea down, as I am not an engineer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Problem with that is that (I believe) a number of the changes made to the 1W design to make the 3W are already part of the 5W design.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some 5Wers are already being driven way over 10Ws of power... Ala direct drive, of course, where you could see as much as 1.7Amps on 9V nominal...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I was seeing slightly over 2A on my W3 binned LS mod using 2 packs of 6 AA's in series with new batteries. That's 18W!!!

Of course maybe that's why it died? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif