Help with Nitecore choice

FlameOn

Enlightened
I want to get an Exteme but it lists two different LEDs...can someone explain the difference?

NiteCore Extreme CREE Q3 LED Flashlight

NiteCore Extreme CREE XP-E R2 LED Flashlight

Thanks....:)

fareast

Enlightened
I am not sure you were entirely correct:

As far as I know the NC extreme only ever came with either an XR-E R2, Q5 or a Q3 5A. If it actually has an XP-E emitter, it is most likely modded.

The differences:
R2: most efficient emitter
Q5: less efficient
Q3: again less efficient but with a warmer tint

but, then again, I could be wrong:whistle:

Matt7337

Enlightened
Not that it really matters now that they're pretty much unavailable these days, but you missed one emitter - The Osram GDP. My NEX has one in it and I love it to bits. As FlameOn has said, there are different emitters for the NEX now and which one you choose will be entirely up to you. My advice would be go with the R2. Great output, great efficiency, and in the NEX, you've got a real winner in your pocket all day and all night long. There are at least 4 days in every week when I don't leave the house without mine.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty sure they never made a Q3 Extreme. The Q5 LED was upgraded to the R2 LED which is currently the latest, brightest and most efficient LED available in the Nitecore Extreme.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goinggear has NEX Q3.

I want to get an Exteme but it lists two different LEDs...can someone explain the difference?

NiteCore Extreme CREE Q3 LED Flashlight

NiteCore Extreme CREE XP-E R2 LED Flashlight

Thanks....:)

Q3 has a warmer beam, R2 is white although tint lottery might happen (might appear more bluish or purplish). If you like livelier colors to the things you lit, Q3 is the better choice. But the R2 XP-E will appear brighter, has better efficiency and a smoother beam profile.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the GDP with an ss bezel, that one is nice, but I guess you don't get it anymore...

The GDP has a mainly artefact-free beam, not as powerfull as the R2 however.

Did you have a look at the new Infilux IFE1? That one features the XP-G R5 and the new smart-ring UI, I can't wait to get it! The NEX is a great light, without any doubt, but I don't like that it unscrews mainly in the middle and if you don't use it in tactical mode (tightened), it may unscrew more and more (or tighten) by itself. :sigh:

Matt7337

Enlightened
Carrot, can I just apologize in advance for any errors that I might make in the future in referring to LEDs by bin code, tint, beam pattern or whatever. I'm still very new to all this although I'd like to think I'm learning fast. LED models, tints etc are one thing that I do need to study up on though.

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure you were entirely correct:

As far as I know the NC extreme only ever came with either an XR-E R2, Q5 or a Q3 5A. If it actually has an XP-E emitter, it is most likely modded.

The differences:
R2: most efficient emitter
Q5: less efficient
Q3: again less efficient but with a warmer tint

but, then again, I could be wrong:whistle:

Not really. NC extreme came with XP-E R2. :)

Ethan

FlameOn

Enlightened
I have the GDP with an ss bezel, that one is nice, but I guess you don't get it anymore...

The GDP has a mainly artefact-free beam, not as powerfull as the R2 however.

Did you have a look at the new Infilux IFE1? That one features the XP-G R5 and the new smart-ring UI, I can't wait to get it! The NEX is a great light, without any doubt, but I don't like that it unscrews mainly in the middle and if you don't use it in tactical mode (tightened), it may unscrew more and more (or tighten) by itself. :sigh:

Henk...I will check it out...I am open to any single 123 with a good interface and forward tail clicky...I was about to pull the trigger on the E1B but some of these other lights like the Nitcore seem to be a good value and appeal to my sense of aesthetics a bit more....:)

BTW, just checked out the infilux....145 bucks is a bit out of my price range...I am trying to stay around 75....infinite modes is an appealing function but to be honest, high medium and a low low works fine for my needs.....:)

Last edited: