Are Duraloops and Eneloops the same thing?

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I'm new to the rechargeable battery market, and I have just purchased some sanyo eneloops, but at the stores I see Duracell Duraloops. From my research I have come to the conclusion that these are the same thing.

My question is... Are they the EXACT same thing and for example can you charge 1 duraloop and 1 eneloop in a sanyo eneloop charger, and can they be interchanged. For example, can I use 1 duraloop and 1 eneloop in my quark AA-2 ???

Thanks!

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The word "Duraloop" is often used too freely these days. Duracell appear to source their rechargeable batteries from different suppliers, and some of them appear to be eneloops from Sanyo.

So if the Duracell batteries you buy happen to be relabeled eneloops, then we think they are exactly the same as eneloops. But if they are not, they are not. Many Duracell rechargeable batteries are not relabeled eneloops.

That said, it is always a good idea to pair up batteries from the same source with the same date code and same manufacturing batch. It is unlikely that a "Duraloop" and an eneloop will be from the same batch.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the batteries say "made in Japan" and have a white top they are Eneloops. I have yet to see any of the non eneloops come through since they updated the wrapper last year.

Even though they are the same battery, it is not a good idea to mix them. Batteries are best matched when they come from the same batch, that is, manufactured by the same machine on the same day.

LightGiver

Newly Enlightened
The newer 2010 labeled packages all seem to have the white top (pos end) that I've seen at Target. I ordered a couple from Amazon and they are the made in china versions with the black top :ohgeez:, the dates on them are 2007 & 2009.

Egsise

Banned
There are other white top LSD cells too, so don't count on it.

Eneloop:
White top
Made in Japan
4 vent holes in the + button which is squarish