Heatsinking KD driver

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
I searched for the answer but couldn't find what I want to know.

I bought this driver, but it hasn't arrived yet.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=7949

How would I heatsink this driver? From what I understand heatsinking a driver to the LED heatsink isn't really the best because there is already a lot of heat being transferred through that heatsink from the LED. So if I can't attach it to the bottom side of my heatsink, what do I attach it to?

Also what side needs to be heatsinked, I imagine it is the side with the two IC's across from each other, but I just want to be sure.

Any suggestions would be awesome :D.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd just drill a hole in the sink so the coil sits in it and the FET and diode can tough the sink. I always mount the driver to the same sink as the LED.

mash.m

Enlightened
I always mount the driver to the same sink as the LED.

hi,

you should not do that, cause the fet´s resistance will increase with the heat from the led. it is not much, but every mOhm produce more heat. better to mount the driver far away from the led with a extra heatsink or the body as heatsink.

I'd just drill a hole in the sink so the coil sits in it and the FET and diode can tough the sink.

sounds good. i also do this, but i glue the diode and fet with thermal glue or epoxy with aluminium powder to the body or extra heatsink.

markus

Import_guy

Newly Enlightened
Don't worry about heatsinking it. I build a 4d mag with the same driver and a ssc p7. When I was finish with it I tested it out first with four D battery which I figured wouldn't work. The modes kept switching to low so I was searching cpf for other solutions but every thread I read up on about this came up with a heating issue which I find kinda weird because they were having the same issues that I came across and I didn't see where there would be a problem with heat when it was only turned on for a few seconds and it would switch to low. Even though the driver was rated @ 5.5v and using 4d battery which would be 6v did not work at all. So I decided to make a battery holder out of pvc piping to hold two 18650 and now it works just fine. Oh by the way the driver was mounted right on the heatsink with some artic alumina.:twothumbs

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi,

you should not do that, cause the fet´s resistance will increase with the heat from the led. it is not much, but every mOhm produce more heat.
Did not know that. Thanks.
Although in my lights its not much of an issue as I use the worlds biggest heatsink.