More pics of Orion mods.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one of an Arc AAA head that I put in a single D cell [and originally screw base incandescent bulb, that was VERY dim] plastic flashlight.

fb61cea2.jpg

I took one of those Long Life flashlights, moddified it with a 2 cell micropuk and using a blue 1 watt LED. The body was cut in half, original 5mm LED [and board] taken out, and the new guts put in. You'll note the high tech electrical tape holding it all together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

fb61ce8c.jpg

Finally, the beloved "Lightsaber" shot. From left to right:

6C Radioshack U4U 5 watt LED mod.
Arc LS modified with a Q2J and an NX-01 optic.
The modified Long Life.
My Variable Light Level (VLL) flashlight around 75% power.
My "Psuedo Space Needle" mod, using a W2V LED.
And, making a brave attempt, the Arc AAA head in the 1 D body flashlight.

fb61ce91.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, . . . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif . . . .in actuality, it is a messed up white luxeon that lost it's phosphor. So I guess it is a bit deceiving to say it's a blue luxeon. Was white, is blue now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

An experiment gone terribly wrong. It involves dead luxeons and stuff, . . . . not a happy story. But it works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Orion...
Nice work, very creative.

A white led, is blue after its "broke". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
By adding a thin phosphor layer to a blue led die you get white light... That's why colored leds are brighter than the white counterpart - part of the light output is lost in the phosphor.

Nice mods by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chris

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears the whites use a Royal blue and not blue then right? Orion: you got the dome back on ok? what about the gell, does air bubles get in there after you take it off /put it back on?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Nice Orion!
FS- one phosphor layer in a little Zip-lock bag. (Been there/done that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .)

Larry

LukeK

Enlightened
Yeah I knew about the yellow phosphor bit, I just didn't know if you could safely remove it without screwing up the LS. After my 5 watters bite the dust, I'd love to be able to remove the phosphor and just have a blue light instead of trashing the LED, if at all possible.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Be careful with a domeless LS.....there are little frog-hair size wires on there the break VERY easily. When the break....on work.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a low dome on from a colored LS I once had, so it is as if it was originally a royal blue luxeon. Not a very useful beam at all, but a conversation piece. I'm not much into the colored LEDs. I prefer white.

On the high domes, be warned that removing the dome [at least in my experiences] ruins the LED!! The Phosphor comes of with the dome, and the wires become detached from the contact points. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm not experimenting with anymore luxeons. I've lost enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif