SUNWAYLED M40A review (lots of pics)

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Following the other user review of another SUNWAYLED from another CPF member, I've stuck with looking at this from a layman's position. That's about all I can do anyway since unlike Selfbuilt I don't do flashlight reviews frequently! For now this is the best I can do for my first time spent attempting to review a flashlight. Click on any of the pictures to open a bigger version.

Introduction

With seven models on the way out to market from new manufacturer SUNWAYLED, I'm sure I wasn't the only person with a particular interest in one of their new lights. As a photographer I'm always working with light in different ways be it flash, natural or other things like flashlights.

When I caught wind of SUNWAYLED's new offerings one in particular caught my eye. The M40A uses a Cree MC-E quad die emitter and runs off four AA batteries. It'll take alkalines, NiMH or anything else up to 1.5V (supposed to take lithiums as well). As a general rule, I try to avoid equipment that doesn't use AAs if it will be spending a lot of time in or around my camera bag. I far prefer being able to keep a couple spare sets of four Eneloop AAs in the bag, being able to swap batteries between devices as needed instead of having multiple devices with different battery types.

When I caught wind of the thread on the CPF Marketplace forum I subscribed with email notifications to try to keep on top of it and get myself a chance at winning one of their lights. It must be destiny because on the morning that SUNWAYLED posted the M40A, the shaving mirror I had suctioned to the wall in my shower fell down and woke me up. In my bleary eyed stumbling at 5:20AM I picked up the fallen mirror and shampoo bottle and took a peek at the messages on my Blackberry. Just minutes before everything started falling on the floor I received an email that SUNWAYLED had updated the thread so I quickly logged on and checked it out. It must have been fate, because I managed to slip in the first reply after the announcement of the M40A.

In the hand
Upon first receiving the light I was struck by a few things. First it has a very nice anodizing finish, secondly it felt very nicely put together and finally the size was really quite nice. About the same length as a 2xAA light like my Fenix LD20 or Quark AA^2 lights, but obviously larger around. It fills your hand nicely and the magnetic control ring is placed just about where you'd want it for easy control while holding. The knurling on the body of the light gives a secure grip without being overly coarse which makes it feel just about right.

Speaking of the magnetic control ring, it was one of the features that most intrigued me about this light. I've never had a light with this kind of interface and I was very curious to try it out. Once I opened the package I immediately started working the ring back and forth and found it has noticeable but not jarring detents which it settles in to when selecting modes. Some have claimed these aren't obvious enough when they used it but for me they feel about right so far. Similarly the stiffness of the ring seems to be about right such that it's easy enough to change modes when you want to but not too easy that bumping it will knock it out of the current mode and in to something else. Strobe is similarly accessed for better or for worse but for whatever reason it doesn't feel as jarring as with some of my other lights. Almost as though the LED doesn't have enough time to dim before the next pulse. This isn't a feature I use much and I wouldn't mind it being replaced with another light level but in the end it's neither here nor there for me. Given the nature of this light and its purpose, the light levels provided are pretty good. This is a secondary or special purpose light for me, I'll still have some sort of light like my LD20 or Quark on me.

The guts

Taking the light apart I noticed high quality square threads that were quite substantial. Similarly the battery carrier is impressively robust looking and feeling.

The battery carrier itself has no polarity when inserted in to the light. It can be placed in either direction but you do have to observe polarity when placing the batteries in the carrier itself. For those that are interested in lockout abilities, less than half a turn of the battery tube seems to be enough to lock the light out. On the bottom of the head a terminal is present which is spring loaded to make contact with and hold the battery carrier in place. The entire assembly is fairly solid when closed up and I can only notice a little rattle if shaken firmly side to side when batteries are installed.

Performance
Getting back to using and over-analyzing the light now that I had batteries in it, I notice the various quirks and properties of the light. For one the obvious question of whether the MC-E LED projects any unusual artifacts was quickly tested and I found that after 3-5 feet any indication of a donut in the beam vanishes. In practical use this isn't the light I'd be using for reading something up close too often and in such situations some artifacts might be noticed, but for everything else I simply never noticed anything unusual with the beam whether I was looking for it or not. Tint wise, I'm no expert (my name isn't a joke) but it's warmer than my cool-white Fenix LD20 Q5 and cooler than my neutral white Quark XP-G... overall it seems like a nice tint as it's not one of those blue-whiteish LEDs. Third party opinions provided by some other people over the weekend seemed to indicate the same.

I didn't do any official runtime tests but I did find that with 4 AA Eneloops that it was plenty for a couple hours of frequent max use with the rest of the time spent on medium leaving plenty left on the batteries. The output is considerable, the flood is generous and the spot has good reach and puts a wall of light on objects that are a hundred feet away with ease. I did some quick beamshots this evening which are at the end of this. I'd like to redo them eventually when I get the new reflector for my Mag and hopefully on a day when I'm not fighting against persistent wind.

Constructive Criticism
Overall my impressions on this light are very good. It feels good, it looks good and it works extremely well. In looking it over and playing with it the only things that stood out as a bit different were what would appear to be the visible top of the magnet (I presume) under the control ring. It's not loose or noticeable, but if you are studying the light you can see it and with the fit and finish of the light in consideration it does seem a bit odd but not alarming. The control ring is smooth but I feel ever so slightly more unevenness when sliding it back to the off position from the low setting and I do wonder what I am to do should I need to clean the control ring. That being said, the light was a complete joy to use over this weekend and everyone else was equally impressed by it and enjoyed trying it out.

Slightly visible magnet?

Aside from my previous comment on the available modes and how I could do without strobe, another setting between low and medium might be nice. Additionally I would soften the edges around the lanyard attachment holes. I attached a lanyard (paracord 550) without any split ring and one weekend of use has already started cutting in to and fraying the paracord where it loops around the lanyard hole. I will be redoing this at some point I suppose but first I'll have to decide how I want to attach my next lanyard!

Conclusion
The quibbles and modifications I just mentioned would likely be classified as very anal quality analysis or minor design modification suggestions and I'd easily rank this light at least on par with my Fenix in terms of quality (and value). It just feels, operates and looks the part of a quality light that was well thought out, engineered, designed and built.

This light will be going a lot of places with me I think. Here it is with the Maxpedition universal sheath (1708) on top of my camera bag.

Beamshots

Here are the beamshots. The tree is approximately 110 meters away, the exposure is locked at ISO 400, f/4 and 8 seconds. WB was auto, I haven't decided what I preferred for demonstrating the beams. When I get better shots I'll revisit this. Like I said, I'll probably wait to reshoot until I get the new reflector for my mag and it's not so windy out.

M40A on high:

M40A on medium:

4D Mag with Malkoff SSC P4 mod:

Fenix LD20 Premium Q5 on turbo:

Details on the light from SUNWAYLED's site.

Features
● CREE MC-E LED, with a lifetime of 50,000 hours;
● Three modes constant output, one strobe mode (below is the output and runtime of using 4*AA 2600mAH Ni-MH batteries)
Three modes constant output: 500 Lumens (1 hrs)- 150 Lumens (5 hrs)- 15 Lumens (60 hrs)
Strobe mode:500 Lumens (1.5 hrs)
● Digital Sensor Magnetic Control system, slightly twist the Rotator Ring to select from different modes
● Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
● Effective range of 250 meters
● Using 4*1.5V AA(Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium) batteries
● Working voltage:3.3~7V
● Reflector of good quality maintains both great throw distance and spread, perfect beam pattern
● Dimension:144mm (length) x 57 mm (head diameter) x 40 mm (body diameter)
● Weight:237.8g(battery excluded)
● Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy
● Military Specification Type III hard anodized
● Waterproof accords with IPX-8 standard
● Ultra-clear toughened glass lens resists scratches and impacts
● Tail stand and can be used as a candle
● Accessories: lanyard, O-ring

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet review there! I have to say. I don't think I will ever look at my pictures quite the same way again. Your professional photographs make mine into mere "snapshots".

Well written and informative. I now want one of these too!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review!!! As much as I rely on Selfbuilt's and Vincent's reviews for the technical information they provide, reviews like yours that focus on impressions and actual use are no less valuable.

It looks like a very attractive light... now I just have to think of a reason to buy one considering I just bought myself a new JetBeam! :whistle:

adnj

Enlightened
Really nice review. Great shots, too! We really need to get some more detail on that lanyard. It looks pretty sweet.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
thanks everyone! :)

I might tackle some of my other lights... maybe sort of a 3way between some lights of similar features I own or can borrow.

Really nice review. Great shots, too! We really need to get some more detail on that lanyard. It looks pretty sweet.

Haha I don't know that it's anything fancy. I've seen way better lanyard work here by others. It was my first attempt at the rattlesnake weave and incorporating the light in to it and getting the length I wanted was a trick.

You can click this to see a bigger version of a quick snap I took of the new one I made using a McGizmo clip to attach it to the light. Instead of the light cutting through the paracord, that clip and the light's anodizing can fight it out now I suppose! (shame, the anodizing is so nice!)

Last edited:

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
This light looks great. (nice review)
That shot of the magnet at the control ring with it's open access looks like muck or grime could get in and foul the mechanism. Opinion?

recDNA

Flashaholic
It is a real nice looking light. I wonder what the run time is on high? Does it get hot?

I like the idea of 4 X AA but I wish they used an SST-50 instead of MC-E. I honestly feel like P7 and MC-E are outdated now. I mean if the light cost $40 I could overlook that but for the money they could have put in an SST-50 IMO.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
That shot of the magnet at the control ring with it's open access looks like muck or grime could get in and foul the mechanism. Opinion?
I wonder/worry about the same thing. I'm not concerned with the magnet itself or something affecting that but with this kind of control in general I'm reminded of zoom or focusing rings on camera lenses. What am I to do if grit gets under the control ring?

I should point out though that the size of that shiny little bit of metal/magnet you see in that shot is around 0.5mm x 2mm.

Another design decision that to me is weird (perhaps because all my other modern LED lights are different) is how the battery tube seals up with the o-ring when tightened in to place. There's relatively little coverage of the tube and while it looks like it should seal with no trouble, I'm used to there being some overlap where the o-ring is completely concealed.

Back to the control ring: I have looked at it briefly before and didn't find a quick way to remove it for cleaning & relubing. I'm probably going to contact sunwayled to find out to satisfy my curiosity. I had thought about that before the weekend but forgot.

It is a real nice looking light. I wonder what the run time is on high? Does it get hot?

SUNWAYLED rates runtime on high at 1 hour with 2600mAh NiMH batteries. I don't know whether it works out that way in my hands or not, I'm using eneloops and I haven't done an actual purposed runtime test. In the manual, SUNWAYLED recommends not running it for more than 10 minutes at a time on high to protect the "battery, circuit and LED" from overheating or premature wear. It does get warm around the heatsink/cooling fins if on high for several minutes but not alarmingly so... on medium I can't say I ever really noticed any heat.

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any parasitic stand-by battery drain while Off?

Great Pics and quick review! Thanks for posting this thread.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
From your description of the tint--that's it's warmer than "cool" but cooler than "neutral white"--I'd say it's what CREE classifies as "Outdoor White".

Colorblinded

Enlightened
From your description of the tint--that's it's warmer than "cool" but cooler than "neutral white"--I'd say it's what CREE classifies as "Outdoor White".
It's possible, but I don't really know where the cooler Cree LEDs I have fall on the cool white scale so there's a fair bit of wiggle room I imagine.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Colorblinded --

Thank you for your excellent Review and Photographs.

:thumbsup:

Could you perhaps hold a " magnetic compass " near the flashlight ? ? ?

I'd like to know if the magnetic control ring would have an effect upon my Compass.

I've already posted my question in their thread.
They replied that they'd "look into it", but (alas), i've seen no further response.

Thank you for your time and dedication, Colorblinded !

:goodjob::thanks:
_

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Thanks for the review and beamshots.

Wonder if this light will be brighter if used with a rechargeable NiZn vs. Eneloop!

recDNA

Flashaholic
My goodness get a GPS! I can't believe people still use compasses. Neat that you can though.

Burgess

Flashaholic
:)

Can't afford a GPS unit.

I spend all of my money on Flashlights.

:p
_

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, and great pics. I always think I'll like these high-output AA lights, but then in practice they seem just a touch too big. Not being able to safely run it on max continuously is also a disappointment, if I'm going to carry a big light around, I want it to deliver big output to!

My goodness get a GPS! I can't believe people still use compasses. Neat that you can though.

I prefer a nice big map and compass for navigating off the beaten trail. With a GPS (unless you have a very fancy one!) you just don't get the same detail in the maps, and so there's less chance of spotting something you might want to take a detour to see. Also it's more satisfying completing a 50km, multi-day hike, using only a compass a map and your skills as a navigator. It's much easier to just follow the little arrow, but I don't go on trips like that because it's easy :)

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Nice review, and great pics. I always think I'll like these high-output AA lights, but then in practice they seem just a touch too big. Not being able to safely run it on max continuously is also a disappointment, if I'm going to carry a big light around, I want it to deliver big output to!
I get what you mean... but I've always pretty much expected it with smaller or easily hand-held lights. I don't know how serious the recommendations in the manual are and how much they're just being overly cautious, but it isn't something I really think twice about.

If I leave it on max for 10 minutes it does start to get reasonably warm around the heatsink area but not hot. Unfortunately I don't have an IR thermometer to take a reading! The beam itself is quite warm though compared to any other LED light I own, shine the light on your ear at reasonably close range or any other sensitive skin when on max and you can feel the heat.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi !

Very nice review and wonderful pix !

Do you see a dark cross from the MC-E on a white wall or is the beam completely smooth ?

adnj

Enlightened
Compasses work in canyons, don't need batteries and work without needing to get a fix.