Narrow Beam Red LED Pen Lights

zilch

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a narrow beam pen-light with a red LED.

My application is basically as an itty-bitty flashlight at concerts, etc., where I might be looking at program notes, scouting for a five someone has dropped on the floor, and so forth.

Red, because red is less eye-catching in those circumstances than the usual bluish-white lights. I specifically do not want it to be very bright. I just want to illuminate something, say, six or fewer feet away, without irritating others.

When I search the Internet, I see a number of products which tout their ability to be seen at some respectable fraction of a mile, which is what I want to avoid.

What are some good products for this? Anything that could use AAs or AAAs, rather than hard to find batteries?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a $ light and colour the led with a red sharpie,worked fine for me.If that is all you want it to do.

red02

Enlightened
Photon Freedom has a 20-30deg red beam and will go really, really low. Most lights will have some spill coming out at 80deg and don't have the adjustable lows.

The only drawback is that it uses CR2032 coin sized batteries. The level adjustment and emission characteristics of the beam make this ideal for what you intend. I wouldn't recommend this if I didn't think this was the best solution. I have tried my best to standardize on AA/AAA but there is no light that meets or even approaches the usefulness of the Freedom that uses AAs and still does what I need.

I use the Freedom as an astronomy light. Its absolutely prefect for that, never heard one complaint from fellow stargazers about being able to see my light.

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the pen light styled offerings from http://www.powerledlighting.com .

They have a few models that have various brightness settings, and you can get red led heads for them. Best of all they run on common AAA batteries. They're about 3/4 of the way down the page.

bnemmie

Enlightened
Streamlight stylus is available with a red LED.

+1

I have had several of these and love them. one i keep in my shirt pocket for doing chart worrk at night. It has the same dimentions at a Bic pen. The only real downside it has is the "AAAA" batteries it takes you cant really get at 3 am from a 7-11. You can hack apart a 9v battery and get them tho.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

I have had several of these and love them. one i keep in my shirt pocket for doing chart worrk at night. It has the same dimentions at a Bic pen. The only real downside it has is the "AAAA" batteries it takes you cant really get at 3 am from a 7-11. You can hack apart a 9v battery and get them tho.

Sorry do not agree at all, forget the stylus nothing at all wrong with the light but getting hold of those stupid AAAA is a real put off.Who on earth ever invented those stupid and daft cells.I see they have caught on big style(not):devil:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
all I can say is a red LED light at sporting events could get you attention with red lasers being banned a flash from one could have ushers approaching you and maybe stupid ones couldn't tell the difference from a laser and LED light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
all I can say is a red LED light at sporting events could get you attention with red lasers being banned a flash from one could have ushers approaching you and maybe stupid ones couldn't tell the difference from a laser and LED light.

What a good point to consider,you are spot on,perhaps a green light would be better for the op and better on the night vision as well.Other solution would be a light with a low low mode,for the little use I would still stick to a $ light and colour the led with a green sharpie or make a tiny diffuser it it is a white led.No real point investing in something so simple to make yourself.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
What a good point to consider,you are spot on,perhaps a green light would be better for the op and better on the night vision as well.Other solution would be a light with a low low mode,for the little use I would still stick to a $ light and colour the led with a green sharpie or make a tiny diffuser it it is a white led.No real point investing in something so simple to make yourself.
I have found a single 5mm white LED driven at lower levels works best, trying to read stuff with other colors can be hit and miss especially if you get colored letters on menus and pictures. I gave my aunt a dorcy 1AAA and she found it just fine. You could mod a 5mm LED light for mostly out the front throw from the lens by eliminating the sidespill and refelctor (if included).