EDC different after blackout?

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Whether or not you were directly affected, did the blackout change what you use for EDC? Does runtime matter more now? Do you carry extra batteries now, but didn't before?

I may still use the same lights, but I will carry a few extra batteries on me instead of leaving them in my car.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think it changed mine. It reinforced what I already thought before, that a little bit of light goes a long way. I had a bunch of lights and was glad to have them, but really I'd have been fine with just a Photon II.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I were in the blackout and I wouldn't change my EDC as it turned out to be the best possible for our situation. Arc AAA and LSH-P were both great. I saw that A) anything brighter than the LS in an urban environment was overkill and liable to get other pedestrians angry with you for blinding them or ruining their adaptation to darkness B) 5 W luxeon lights with only adequate heat sinking would likely get too hot to be useful for extended periods as the 1w er's get hot enough. C)Small LEDs were just perfect for most blackout conditions. D)single cell lights are easier to keep supplied with a smaller battery stash needed. I carry spare batts anyhow. I carry a C2 HA in my bag too and save that for any emergency illumination like say an accident or something where I may need some bright throw. I found my EDC was great. Won't change a thing unless I add something like the future Arc products.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Actually one thing might change. I might start carrying lights that I don't like as much as what I have now. The blackout leads to many situations where you might lose your light (e.g. lend it to someone and then they can't find you to give it back). For example I might switch my Arc LS for a PT Blast which is about the same size and brightness but much less exotic and uses normal AAA batteries. AAA's are much easier to find replacements for than 123's.

rodmeister

Enlightened
I'm sticking to my Photon II on keychain, ARC LS in pocket, ARC AAA clipped to pants pocket. But I'm digging out my Lightwave 2000, which has a battery life of more than 40 hours. I might also start carrying my Petzl Zipka for it's similar long life, compactness, and convenience of placing on the head.

On Fox News, reporter Dave Asman was filmed leaving Fox headquarters on a bicycle for home during the blackout. He was wearing a Zipka his wife gave him after 9/11. He said it was a lifesaver.

paulr

Flashaholic
Oh yes, one thing I actually did change. I put the pocket clip back on my Arc AAA. That's to be able to use it handsfree, by clipping to my shirt pocket or T-shirt collar. It's not a really great arrangement, but good enough in a pinch that I don't feel the need for a headlamp.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I put the pocket clip back on my Arc AAA. That's to be able to use it handsfree....

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

The clip on my AAA LE came off the day I got this little beauty, but it now is a case of "form follows function."

That HA3 isn't exactly kind on tooth enamel.....

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Blikbok

Enlightened
My EDC has changed slightly, more towards the long-runtime. My normal flashlight usage leans more towards bright lights. I've also thought along the same lines as PaulR. I usually have a few lender lights in my kit, and I think I may add more. I went camping and I was handing out CMG Ultras like party favors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I think I'll toss a few of the Countycomm keychain lights into my belt pack. Actually I already have a few there, but by accident. I may decide to make a habit of it. CMG Ultras weigh too much to carry enough camping to use as party favors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
No EDC hasn't changed. My EDC was never a single be everything light.

My EDC is only for a short term use until I can locate the proper light for the job. The proper light being my flourescent lanterns or my SF M6 whichever is appropriate for the situation.

GregR

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've been trying different EDC lights all along. I'm different in that the odds of me being in any multistory building, subway or other VERY dark place are at least lottery odds! (we have no subway here, and I don't work downtown!).

But now I have found my EDC!!! Either 2L (favored) or 1L Streamlight Twin Tasks. Remarkable lights!

Entropy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
No EDC hasn't changed. My EDC was never a single be everything light.

My EDC is only for a short term use until I can locate the proper light for the job. The proper light being my flourescent lanterns or my SF M6 whichever is appropriate for the situation.

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty much the case for me.

Next time I travel into a city enviroment, this will change and I'll bring lots of spare batteries, etc., but for now my BB400 is more than long enough to get me to my car, and then home to my NiMH charger and inverter.

I usually leave the MiniMag+BB on the desk, except for trips to windowless rooms.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC hasn't changed. I still EDC my Ultra (not G). The usefulness of the clip is why I did not go with the Ultra-G.

Its purpose is 'just in case'.

DaveT

Enlightened
Just slightly different...I've had a Photon III (one white, one turquoise) on each half of a 2-piece clipping keychain (house/car keys).
Arc AAA, and since July an Arc LSH-S.

What will change is I'm going to add extra AAA and 123 batts...and I'm adding a Minimag/BB400 to my backpack, and some spare AAs.

I never resorted to the Photons, but the Arcs were needed. Truth told, the AAA probably could have done 9/10ths of what I needed it for that day, but the reach of the LSH was good for lighting a long, open stairwell.

What I'll feel better about is spare batts for extended use...and a AA-based light that gives the option of lending it out or leaning on it for easier battery resupply (lots of stores were open, at least in the first couple hours, and I'd rather try to buy AAs than CR123s in bodegas or hardware stores.

Dave

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
No change. I already considered long runtime a needed attribute.

SF L1, SF M2, 6x123A spares

<bigger>
edc2-160x120.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that an ARC AAA is also on my person whenever I have clothes on! And a spare battery for it resides in my Motorola pager (which is done with an AAA way before it's time!)

I MIGHT put a few more 123As in my truck to hedge the bet on my TT lights.....

DaveT

Enlightened
TSG:
Great minds... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
That's exactly what I'm getting ready to do - found that link a few weeks ago and put it on my "to do" list...and now this and several other items have moved much higher up the list.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I don't think it changed mine. It reinforced what I already thought before, that a little bit of light goes a long way. I had a bunch of lights and was glad to have them, but really I'd have been fine with just a Photon II.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great light but short runtime

Brightnorm