My noob L4 review!

Frangible

Enlightened
The Surefire L4 in a word, is "perfect". Yet, it is clearly not, but it does a very good job of convincing you otherwise.

Without a doubt, the most striking thing about the L4 is its beam. Aside from being extremely bright, brighter than a Mag 3D even, it's also a very nice, if not cool, shade of white, and a wide yet flawless beam.

Did I mention it was bright? It's indeed temporarily blinding, about on par with flashing yourself with a cheap laser pointer. As for self defense use, well, to misquote Ahnold: "Between your Surefire L4 and my Glock 9mm, I'll take my Glock." Flashlights ain't protection from armed attackers, folks.

Also notable is the fit and finish of the light. Well made and rugged, it just looks good with its HA aluminum body. The clip is sturdy and I just don't see it breaking on the whole.

So, it's a well made, bright little light. But, all is not perfect. Here's why:

HEAT: This sucker gets hot-- very hot. After you leave it running a while, gripping it by its head WILL burn you, but if you grip it by its body you'll be ok, although you will certainly feel the heat. Heat is a sign of ineffeciency, which leads me to my next point.

SHORT BATTERY LIFE: "65 minutes at 65 lumens" the manual tells me, which isn't a terribly long time for $2.50 in batteries. In fact, it's the same as Surefire's incandescant models. You can feel that a lot of the energy here is being released as heat. There's definately some inefficiencies at work here, and progress to be made.

NO USER BRIGHTNESS MODES: You get super bright, then the light drops into "barely a flashlight" rather quickly. All in all, not much "useful" runtime imo. I'd like a way to dim it a bit as you simply don't need 65 lumens in every situation.

SERVICE LIFE: The LED is rated at "500 hours", and isn't user replacable. While for most people that's $1000 in batteries, I'm disappointed a LED has such a short maximum life.

HIGH COST: Even at the cheaper end, $130 is a lot for a flashlight. (plus the $70 I spent on a LiIon battery for it)

In the end, the L4 is a small, very bright flashlight good for brief use. Some label it "tactical" which seems to imply it's small, dark colored, and hideously expensive. It is. I doubt the military or police would use it due to the runtime and cost, but I could be wrong.

The L4 is a light that's very good for doing what it was intended to do. Unfortunately, with a little foresight it could have been a much more versatile light, even with today's technological limitations.

If you use a bright light briefly, and have a lot of money to spend, the L4 may be for you. But if you need something with more stamina or shy away from flashlights that cost more than an image intensifier, look elsewhere.

I cannot fault Surefire for today's techonological limitations. But I will ding them for not having a user adjustable brightness.

My rating: 9/10

paulr

Flashaholic
Frangible, in terms of converting battery power to visible light, the L4 and an incandescent like the E2e are about equally efficient. The difference is that the L4 radiates its waste energy into your hand while the E2e shoots it out the front as infrared.

The efficiency and LED life issues reflect the best that the LED manufacturing process can do right now. These are high tech semiconductor devices like Pentium IV's. A few years ago if you said "5 watt LED as bright as a Surefire incandescent" to someone they'd have thought you were crazy. Anyway, yes, everyone is aware of the limitations, but stuff keeps getting better all the time.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the efficiency of the Luxeon is higher than the incandescent; thus, with the same power consumption, the "quantity" of light emitted is higher than E2. It is only concentrated differently.
Also, to my knowledge, SF is using the new Q binned 5 W Luxeon rated 50.000 hrs.
You are fully right on the lack of dimming capability, like SF did with the L1. Sometime, all of that light may be a waste.

Anthony

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inefficiency also applies to the regulator. About 25% of the energy drawn from the battery goes down the drain, never to be seen by the LED. Even if you had an efficient LED, you'll dump some energy in the step up converter. 25% is nothing to sneeze at. That's about 1.5W from a pair of 123's over its useful battery life.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4's 65 minute runtime is the time it remains regulated at the same brightness (IIRC), but the incan. Surefires runtime is until it dies, and brightness decreases over the battery life, so the L4 is more efficient.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
So how long is the L4's led rated?? Anyone have a definite answer to that from a reliable source?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TheProphet said:
Also, to my knowledge, SF is using the new Q binned 5 W Luxeon rated 50.000 hrs.
Anthony

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope - a "Q" bin is from the 1 Watt world and is was posted that SF is using W or better - it was confirmed by SF that they are using the "portable" version of the 5 Watter which is marketing speak for the 500/1000h Luxeons as they are the only available white 5 Watters as far as the world+dog knows.

And regarding a dimmable 5 Watt LS you might do a search for either the ARC LS5 or the SF ULTRA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Klaus, what the hack is a SF ULTRA?
my search didn't find anything useful except this thread ...
bernhard

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
Klaus, what the hack is a SF ULTRA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernhard - the CPF search sometimes needs some tweaking - using the string "Surefire ULTRA" ot something will bring up this: Surefire Ultra? which is what I´m referring to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And the interesting part goes like:

"Yes, we a aware of the need for a variable power 5 watt LED light, and that's why we have built the SureFire Ultra. The Ultra is a 2x SF123 cell flashlight with a 5 watt Luxeon Star and a 6 position hall effect power control ring. The power level is adjustable over 100:1 range, giving 5 watts at the top end and 50 mW at the bottom. Although this light is not available yet we did show prototypes at this year's SHOT show. The production light about the same size as our M3."

Klaus

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
It seems odd that Surefire would resort to calling a new light by a name as opposed to a number like L4, E2E or M3.

The name 'Ultra' doesn't fit with their current product line. Maybe they're starting to head down the Streamlight road with names like Scorpion, Twin Task, ect.

We'll we ever see the Surefire 'Ultimate-HA' (The Holy Grail dimmable 10W led model??) Stay tuned!

Frangible

Enlightened
It doesn't make much sense to call something that will be obsoleted soon "Ultra".

Now, if it was the "KL4 Ultra" I could buy that...

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'd like to post a few points.

1) The KL4 is a replacement bezel for the E2e.
The L4 is SureFire's way of releasing two new products (KL4 & Z57 Clickie) in one working flashlight at a great price.

2) The KL4 was not expected to be, isn't and will never be adjustable output. The KL1, KL2 and KL3 aren't. None of the KLx will be.

3) Even if the KL4 only lasts 500 hours (which is not the figure I've been told), I believe there are two considerations. Firstly, are you realistically going to be using the KL4 for anything close to that much? And if you do, don't you think it's fantastic value? (only need to buy batteries rather $400 worth of lamps)
Secondly, those users who do use the KL4 a lot are likely to upgrade next year to the latest model. The L4 hasn't been my primary EDC for quite a while now as new proto-types go through evaluation all the time. SureFire aren't done yet!

3) I have NEVER seen nor have I handled any SureFire proto-type with "ULTRA" laser etched on it.

4) SureFire use the 'letter-number' model reference system and often name their products too. The Beast is likely always going to be referred to by it's nickname given to it by users and not as the "B1".

Al

Kiessling

Flashaholic
so Al, while you are there ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...
will we see the B1 soon ?
or anything else we're waiting for?
sorry, couldn't resist.
bernhard

Size15's

Flashaholic
"We" as in public?
I doubt it. I believe that all those being made are for either R&D or specific users [groups].

What else are you ["you" as in public?] waiting for?
In my experience of SureFire, it is often difficult to tell which proto-types will make it to product for public retail so I wouldn't like to say.

Al

Kiessling

Flashaholic
so ... no B1 for us average joes at all, or later some time?
(might be of some importance since I am thinking of buying the soon-to-be released K3400 HID from Wolf-Eyes, but would wait for a SF HID if it would be made available sometimes)
and I as a representative of the uniform public mass am waiting for "brighter, smaller, better" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
or brighter, bigger, meaner.
or anything else new from SF.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif
bernhard

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I guess the H***F*** (or B**** or B1) will never make it to The LED Museum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif