Building Flashlight

Sammy113

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I'm new here and I love the forum so far. lovecpf

I'm in the process of either building or modding a flashlight.
I'm looking to get close to 800 lumens from the light I want. I have some experience with LEDs and I have built several LED lamps for aquariums but this is kinda a different world.

I was hoping to use CREE 3-Up XP-G or CREE MC-E
3-Up (417lm @ 350mA. Up to 1000mA)
creexpg-w417-med.jpg

3-Up with optics (16 degree)
carclo3upclear-led-optic_med.jpg

CREE MC-E (430lm @350mA. Up to 700mA)
creemce-w430p_med.jpg

Also looking at buckpucks as drivers for any of them. 1000mA if I go with 3-Up or 700mA with MC-E. My big doubt is which batteries to use to power these?

I'd also like to have a nice looking unit. Don't want a weird looking Tube with wires coming out. That's the reason I'd prefer to go with an actual flashlight and mod it but don't know which one has the room for any of these LEDs. The 3-up comes in a 20mm pcb and the MC-E not sure but should be close to that.

I've seen lots of flashlights with LEDs but they don't use any optic lens. They use some kind of reflective material. The LED tends to be a very directional light so my thoughts are a reflective material is not the best way to get a nice spot or beam or am I wrong? Isn't it better to use tight angle optics to increase light output and less spill from the LED?

If you have some DIY flashlight or mod with this emitters feel free to post and comment experiences. Any comment in general to my raw idea is always welcome. Thanks!