Help and recommendations for a LEO please

bradw177

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I am asking for help in choosinga light for work. I have an Eagle-Tac that is on my duty belt which i love and use constantly, but I need something bigger. My dept. issues 4D Mags which are garbage. I am in need of a light that i can tuck under my arm for traffic yet shine fields and woods for 'persons of interest." Im not looking to spend a fortune, I have other toys to buy yet my life could depend on it so I dont want complete garbage. Something that is atleast 8" long, has a good throw to blind someone if needed, and relatively inexpensive. I would like to make the whole thing under $100 including batteries and charger if possible. (need help with those too please-which 18650 and charger). I would be glad to buy from someone on here just point me in the right direction And I dont want to get into modding it. I have been looking at the TrustFire TR-1200, the Ultrafire WF-1000, and the Super Thrower Far Projection Cree from DX just for starters. Again, thank you in advance for the help.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Please type in LEO lights in the search function and you will find many recent threads on this subject.

My 2 cents.... I would stay away from Ultrafire (flashlights) and DX products when using a flashlight in the capacity of law enforcement.

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
My 2 cents.... I would stay away from Ultrafire (flashlights) and DX products when using a flashlight in the capacity of law enforcement.

I use an UF WF500. It is not my main light. But it is my brightest, and it has never let me down.

I have a Quark Tac AA (recently replaced my Ultrafire C3 as a backup light) and a Surefire 6p with Dereelight R2 SMO on my belt.

For surefire 6p, subsitute a solarforce l2 host as many of my friends have for a top LEO combo -Better than pepper spray in some situations. ("Oh S**t - Turn it off -PLEASE!")

Hope that helps!

wolfy

Enlightened
I was going to say get a Thrunite Catapult V2, but its above the budget you specified (I think about US$160-180). It is a well constructed light, looks like you could almost hammer nails with it, with excellent throw, and easy hi(1000lumens)/lo(250lumens) operation. Selfbuilt tested runtime, on AW 18650/2200mAh batteries, as 55min at high setting and 4hrs13min on low.

Another option may be to upgrade your incandescent 4D MagLite with a Malkoff 3-6D dropin., which I did recently. Nice 260 lumen output (about 8times that of the original incan bulb), when focused it has very good throw, and rated at 6hr runtime (at rated output) with 3D alkaline cells. If you already have a D style Maglite, the Malkoff drop in is about US$69.

Last edited: