Please Help Me Choose

check

Newly Enlightened
I don't know much about flashlights. I own several handheld and headlamps and I dislike all of them.

Here is the basic criteria:

The switch is easy to find in the dark, easy to turn on and off.
The switch does two things; on and off.
It doesn't dim, blink, change color or do anything but turn off when someone is shooting at me. No "special procedures", just off.
It does not use AAA batteries. AA or CR123A would be OK.
It does not roll off the hood of my vehicle on to the ground when I set it down. Hexagonal head maybe. NOT CYLINDRICAL.
I'm flexible on size, color, cost and lumens. I would be happy with a cheap plastic one if it only met the criteria...I would buy several of them.

The "special procedures" part seems to be the biggest hurdle. For some people with photographic memories this is no problem, but this is not acceptable to me. In the real world, guys have several different flashlights, each having it's own set of "special procedures". When someone is shooting at me I don't want to be pondering "which flashlight am I carrying ?" and "what are the procedures to turn it off ?".

The majority of lights seem to have the switch on the back, which is perfect for guys who have their thumb on the opposite side of their hand. Very awkward to turn off and on constantly when walking, unless you hold your arm way up in the air, thereby placing the thumb in back of your hand. which is not only tiring but makes it harder to keep balance on rough terrain.
Although I would consider one of these rear switch lights if all other criteria is met, I would prefer a more ergonomic switch.
Thanks in advance.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Pelican has a few lights that meet those criteria - the 2410 series and 3315 series both come to mind

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight 1L-1AA - can be set to on/off only with their ten tap system, runs on either a AA or CR123A, pocket clip stops it from rolling.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Personally never owned a Fenix flashlight,, but I've owned a couple different Fenix headlamps.
The WH23R is a built in battery headlamp, charged like a phone. Uses a large simple switch,
Big simple switches are key to headlamps.

Can be had for around $54

check

Newly Enlightened
Pelican has a few lights that meet those criteria - the 2410 series and 3315 series both come to mind
Thanks for the suggestion! I just ordered one 3315 from fleabay for 34.99 shipped. If I like it I may buy a couple more.

Last edited: