Help me pick out a titanium flashlight, or 3

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had on-going issues with a Convoy M2 that never arrived. At this point, it has clearly been lost or stolen in transit. Convoy's owner and AliExpress in general have been zero help in getting the situation rectified. I even ordered two more times from them in the hope that my M2 would arrive. Literally all of the lights from those later two orders have arrived. Ordered the Convoy M2 on November 5th. Ordered a Convoy C8 on December 8th. My C8 arrived two days ago.

Contacted them again. Asked for a refund. Got the same old very polite, "Just sit around and wait until it arrives." Or until my chance to get a refund before a certain date expires. Even the owner of Convoy said I probably deserve a refund. Did he actually do anything about it though? No.

AliExpress and Convoy are fine to buy from when everything goes right. Something goes wrong? Expect very polite though completely worthless customer service. I'm done with both of them. Let Convoy's owner know it in no uncertain terms.
Now you're experiencing the reason(s) I only buy merch from U.S. based distributors. I make no exceptions. Anything else is trouble waiting to happen. I don't need anything bad enough to deal with that sector. Sorry you're experiencing it though.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
AliExpress and Convoy are fine to buy from when everything goes right. Something goes wrong? Expect very polite though completely worthless customer service. I'm done with both of them. Let Convoy's owner know it in no uncertain terms.
Sorry to hear, but that was my experience with Imalent and banggood. Reading some online reviews, seems the same with nealsgadgets and aliexpress. They just give you the runaround, and you have to hope for results from paypal.

Seems that you can buy the Convoy T3 through amazon, but it still ships from China. At least may have better luck getting a refund if it doesn't arrive or arrives DOA. I actually wanted the T4, but it's not on Amazon or ebay. I may forego the Convoy and just get the EagTac.

I did find this on the amazon T3 listing, pretty good comparison.
emitter tints.jpg

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear, but that was my experience with Imalent and banggood. Reading some online reviews, seems the same with nealsgadgets and aliexpress. They just give you the runaround, and you have to hope for results from paypal.

Seems that you can buy the Convoy T3 through amazon, but it still ships from China. At least may have better luck getting a refund if it doesn't arrive or arrives DOA. I actually wanted the T4, but it's not on Amazon or ebay. I may forego the Convoy and just get the EagTac.

I did find this on the amazon T3 listing, pretty good comparison.
View attachment 54646
Thanks!! Just by coincidence, it just happens to be a 519A 4500K that Tod's getting for me in a D3C MKII. I've never seen one, but I want to, so........;-)

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Thanks!! Just by coincidence, it just happens to be a 519A 4500K that Tod's getting for me in a D3C MKII. I've never seen one, but I want to, so........;-)
Kool. That's the one I was thinking on ordering also, but probably in the D3A version. Looks like a good neutral tint. Not too blue, not too yellow. Lemme know how you like it. What does the MkII designate?

Do you know if & how long he's closed for the holidays?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know if & how long he's closed for the holidays?
Honestly, I'm not sure he's ever 'closed'. I've never e-mailed him that I didn't get a response within hours. The fact that I e-mailed him last night, and had a response when I got up today, on Xmas weekend.....many people are probably taking the day off today, but not him. I hope he's at least taking Monday off.

Marquis07

Newly Enlightened
I think it's time for a titanium light, since most of my flashlight wants & needs are getting fulfilled. I looked at the checklist, but I don't have an extremely narrow focus, at this point.

Looking for something medium sized, not keychain. I like glossy. Maybe something in the 500 to 1000 lumen range.

Price is not a big issue, but not looking for a $600 piece either. Dual fuel is ok, but Li-ion capable for sure. I'm into brands that are well built and reliable, not looking for an el cheapo budget light. Not much into charge ports.

I just started looking some up on search engines, and seeing some that I've never heard of. Will start looking up some reviews, but thought I'd see what you all like, and what is standing the test of time and reliability.

I'm kinda eyeballing the Convoy T4, and possibly the T3, but open to anything. So many emitter choices. Lemme know what ya'll like.

I think a couple of nice titanium lights would go well with my Buck 560.
Sweet knife! For what it's worth, I carried a buck 110 on my hip for many years. I carried a few different 18650 lights right behind it, and they fit perfect. Right now, I'm looking at this Ti 18650 from Exceed Designs. It should be out soon. Exceed Designs Build Thread

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does the MkII designate?
The D3C is a very old design, but is so good it still thrives today thanks to updates. They've never changed what wasn't broke, or trashed it up with unneeded changes - to their credit. They left what was right, and only added to that. The best thing the MK II update added was proper support / optimization for 3.6/7 V 16340. I have an earlier version, and I believe some good UI options were added as well.
My very first post on CPF! Note there is not a single reply:)

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Just by coincidence, it just happens to be a 519A 4500K that Tod's getting for me in a D3C MKII
Is he custom building that for you? I didn't see that emitter option on the D3C, but that looks like what I'd like to try also, in the titanium version.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is he custom building that for you? I didn't see that emitter option on the D3C, but that looks like what I'd like to try also, in the titanium version.
The D3A (Ti) with that emitter currently shows 3 in stock on the web site, so that's available for immediate shipment. It's in stock with 8 different emitters. I want the D25C MK II (aluminum) with the 519A, but that emitter hasn't been previously listed for that light, which is why I asked if he thought it might be in the near future. I have 2 with the SST20 4000K R9080, which I really like (and which is currently in stock). I was hoping he would say it could be 'custom ordered', and evidently that is the case. All I know is that his response was that he's added 1 to their next order, and expects an early-mid January arrival. I don't know their source(s), but their site indicates that if you want something not shown, just ask and they may be able to get it, so this time I did. It's now on order from whoever their source is, so I gather it's not being built at their location. All I know is IG's 'connected', and can get things special order beyond the stock items listed on their site.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I want the D25C MK II (aluminum) with the 519A
I wonder how many lumens you'll give up with that emitter. Seems that light will go up to 800 lumens with the Cree.

Based on that photo I posted earlier, I kinda like the 519A / 4500, but would like to get it in a D3C titanium, which doesn't seem to be a stock option. I guess I'll be sending him an email too, to see if it's possible, and if it doesn't cut the lumen output by too much.

I think the D3C with that Nitecore 950 mAh 16340 would be a good combo.

Thanks a lot for the info & explanations.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination Gear has come through for me a couple times, with nice emitters; EagTac aluminum models only. They are decent quality and completely sufficient for the job but I would expect the Ti models a step up.

Maybe 7 seven years ago I contacted EagTac about a certain emitter in a certain thrower. They handled it no problem for a good price. Delivery took a while (less than a month?) but really appreciate EagTac doing that.

IG very likely tells EagTac what LED's he wants.

My work-pack/city-bag holds a backup EagTac single 18650 flashlight with a nice SST-20 from IG.

Getting a 4500K 519a emitter would be stellar.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Here's a really great performing pocketable thrower, a copper/titanium version Noctigon KR1 with your choice of emitter (I love the 5000K SFT40) from Jackson Lee in Hawaii (jlhawaii808.com)

Attachments

• nmd-noctigon-kr1-sft40-3000k-90cri-with-beamshots-v0-r3cnytutkhjb1.jpg
    nmd-noctigon-kr1-sft40-3000k-90cri-with-beamshots-v0-r3cnytutkhjb1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231023-185038.jpg
    20231023-185038.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 32

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've decided to get two of the Titanium EagTacs, a 16340 and a 14500, in neutral tint.

If I ever run across the Convoy T4 or T3 via a USA distributor, I'll give them a try also. Seem like nice lights for the price, but I'm not going to place any more orders that have to be shipped directly from the Asian market. Been there - done nat. No thanks.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Guitar Guy - I was just reminded that there was an error in an earlier post of mine. The light I currently have on order w/ 519A 4500K is a DC25C MK II, and not a D3C as I typed. I'd just read a 'D3' in your post moments before, and my feeble brain overwrote the wrong memory location and my hand typed it. How weird is that?;-)

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
@aznsx ... cool. I'll be glad when they come in. Lemme know how it works out.

I'm going to email him to see if he thinks the battery length is still an issue, maybe see if he will try those ET cells in a D3A and a D3C, and if it's a problem, maybe remove them from my order. I'll probably order a couple of Nitecores for them anyway. You said that the 14500 & 16340 both fit well, didn't you?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
@aznsx ... cool. I'll be glad when they come in. Lemme know how it works out.

I'm going to email him to see if he thinks the battery length is still an issue, maybe see if he will try those ET cells in a D3A and a D3C, and if it's a problem, maybe remove them from my order. I'll probably order a couple of Nitecores for them anyway. You said that the 14500 & 16340 both fit well, didn't you?
Let me do some more checking. I found both pairs of ET cells I have (16340 & 14500), and while the 16340s don't appear to be an issue, the 14500s are much longer than what I'm using, and I wouldn't / didn't want to use them. The problem is compounded though, as not only do none of my ET cells have part numbers on them, it also appears that the 16340s currently on their site appear to be different from mine, and I think the 14500s might be different as well - which could invalidate my concerns. I'd also like to understand the current situation myself, since I use both those sizes in the same size lights you have on order. Anyway, from what I just found out here, it appears my length issues were with the 14500s, but probably not with the 16340s (which I just tried and they don't feel bad).

I'm going to email him to see if he thinks the battery length is still an issue

It's beginning to appear that this might be the best thing to do. Things may well have changed, and their opinion may be the best info to go with. With both the current cells and lights in hand, they're likely in the best position to know, and I'd probably go with their opinion. It would be good to confirm that with an e-mail though as you indicated. The cells you ordered may be just fine after all. Their 16340 also shows a higher current rating than the NC NL169 cells, which might be in their favor.

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Their 16340 also shows a higher current rating than the NC NL169 cells, which might be in their favor.
Yes, I did notice that. I believe 3 amps compared to 2. That was one reason that I went ahead and ordered them. I'm not sure what those little lights need, on turbo mode.

I would guess that he won't be back in the office until Tuesday, but I'll let you know what he says.