"Error" Engraved Z2...who has one???(Pic Added 8-28)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking at the patent numbers on my lights, I looked up the patent on my Z2 and it came back as a "Water Cooler" :duh2:...It's SUPPOSED to be patent number 5642932 "Combat Oriented Flashlight", but this one is with-out a doubt, 5442932, which is for a "Water Cooler". I'll try to get a photo up so you guys don't think I'm nuts... ("too late for that" they whisper)

This was on a factory sealed Z2...kinda neat...

Wonder how long it was before they realized the error? Anybody else have one??? Or is your Z2 "properly etched"? Is the error more prevevalent than the correct one???
:popcorn:
----------------------------------------------
Added this 27 Aug to see if we can narrow the error down to a certain batch, and maybe find out if they realized the error yet and have fixed it...

CSI CPF style...:naughty:

HPIM1340.jpg

Z2 LED Combatlight A07148 has patent No. 564932

544 Patent #'s: (Error)
1) A186318 (Nanomu)
2) A184628 (Alberta Blue)
3) A182715 (AOW)

564 Patents #'s: (Correct)
1) A115804 (Tempest)
2) ______ (DRB)
3) _______ (Big Hea...I mean MegaNoggin)
4) A178988 (ARA)

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Error" Engraved Z2...who has one???

interesting.

tactical water cooler, does it come with lanyard

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any one have one with the regualar "Combat Light" patent number???

Meganoggin

Enlightened

Checking patent number AOW?...... OK I'll check mine tonight and report back (I'm at work) ;)

I can't help thinking you have just started a new geeky trend lovecpf

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Checking patent number AOW?...... OK I'll check mine tonight and report back (I'm at work) ;)

I can't help thinking you have just started a new geeky trend lovecpf

LMAO! Yeah..."Error Lights". I was initially interested in what the actual patents were for, after researching L1's yesterday (at work :naughty:), and maybe using patents printed on the lights to help figure out different gens. I know my newer C2's had more patents than my old one's. I did have a few misprinted Base Ball Cards...who looks for this kind of stuff anyways???

Ooops :ohgeez:

(Nice Sig BTW Meganoggin)

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm I just looked at my C2 (just got it via a trade) and it has patent number 5642932, along with a few others

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

interesting.

tactical water cooler, does it come with lanyard

LMAO! Just a proximity sensor to alert when some one get's to close to yer meade! Some of their patents are WAY more extensive than what I would have guessed and show some pretty neat "concepts" that never came to fruition.

I really like the idea of replacing the "clip" with a screw based attachment device for attachment to a weapon/helmet/bike(?).

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any idea on the time frame yours is DB? Mine is 07'-08'ish and has the "bold" etching. Have to post my serial number, and maybe narrow it down to a range.

I got it late last year from ElectronGuru, it's one of his HA-BK workings :)

Meganoggin

Enlightened

OK mine's correct - 5642932 - it's an early, push-fit lexan window model.....

rjr104

Newly Enlightened

FWIW my Z2 and Z3 both have no patent numbers at all. They are both the sterile bezel press in lexan windows.
RJ

To further stir the pot, patent 5642932 isn't a Z2 I don't think. Looks more like a 6Z (the drawing). Of course the Z2 is a second or third iteration of the 6Z. Do they use the original patent number for subsequent generational designs?

Last edited:

nanomu

Newly Enlightened

It appears I have a 544.. as well. It is also from one of ElectronGuru's HA-BK runs.

SN A186318

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

FWIW my Z2 and Z3 both have no patent numbers at all. They are both the sterile bezel press in lexan windows.
RJ

To further stir the pot, patent 5642932 isn't a Z2 I don't think. Looks more like a 6Z (the drawing). Of course the Z2 is a second or third iteration of the 6Z. Do they use the original patent number for subsequent generational designs?

To answer your question, yes. The lights themselves aren't patented...patents are more for "design concepts" (ideas) of use/functionality...however it may be designed. This patent is for the "Concept" of a "Combat Light" with certain features/functionality. See Meganoggins post right above yours as well.

Sounds like your Z2 and Z3 are pretty early (well, the Z3's kind of a no-brainer since they don't make those anymore). My early C3 has no patent numbers either...maybe the patent was "pending" when these were MFG'ed???

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

It appears I have a 544.. as well. It is also from one of ElectronGuru's HA-BK runs.

SN A186318

Hmmm...2 for 2...So DB and Meganoggin have 564 one's and me and you have the 544 ones...hmmm...I think my Serial # is pretty close to yours nanomu...I forgot to post it last night, and don't have it with me right now, but will post it when I get off work. Not only is the etching bolder, but it's in a different font as well...I was looking at the one's on a 6P and the patents were italicized, where as the one's on my Z2 aren't.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting!

Mine was bought 11/07, SN A115804. US Patents 5642932, 6222138.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Tempest...yeah, I think they switched the etching up midway, and the error was made then...and, if your serial numbers lower than mine and nanomu's, then they may not have caught it yet...:eek:oo:

"Tracker" added to first post...lovecpf

1wrx7

Enlightened

Let's get some more serial numbers!!! :poke:

I would post mine, but My Z2 body has no engraving at all. Blank on both sides. No grip rings either. I guess you could call that an error in the engraving:thinking: I think it looks good though.