New flashaholic here

BackStage

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is my first post after much lurking. I have a 2d Mag and a 2aa mini mag. After a recent post here I think the Arc aaa LED will be my first new purchase. I work in live entertainment production and performance and am often in need of a weatherproof, durable light. I'm also wondering what mods I can do to my Mags? This looks like a great forum it has a ton of information. Which one? The Arc aaa or the CMG Infinity Ultra?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Welcome BackStage -> Personal opinion...get the ARC AAA first, easy to carry in pocket, around neck, on keychain...you'll never know it's there until you need it! The Ultra is good too! It has it's place in the "toolbox" due to longer runtime from the AA vs. the AAA. Get them both, they won't "break" you...compare them for yourself.

Get a Luxeon Star or one of the other LED drop-in mods for your MiniMag (they're affordable), you'll use it all the time on the job. Then after reading EVERYTHING (you've got a lot of time right? Ha!) here, upgrade, move on, look at other options and needs that other torches can provide.

Go to the links section (it's still there, eh?) and visit some of the review sites and do your research online...THEN GET OUT THE WALLET!!

Seriously you know all about tools that make your job easier and "are the right ones when they are there for you". Enjoy the information, reviews, experiences of others while being entertained at the same time!!

darkgear.com

Enlightened
Nooooo! Don't listen to him. Put it away. Hide it. Never bring it out. Better yet, LOSE IT!! Cut up the cards and put your savings somewhere you can't get to it. You'll go broke saving money on the CPF
tongue.gif

On the other hand, It's much more fun to follow Sigman's advice
smile.gif
I know I need another job since finding the CPF :0

WELCOME!!

Best regards,
Randy

Brock

Flashaholic
Hi and welcome, I would also suggest an Arc AAA. For the mini Mags I would strongly suggest the Opalec Newbeam. It replaces the lamp in a standard 2 AA and runs over 9 hours (fully regulated = same brightness) on a new set of batteries. Very nice even light.

So what exactly do you do? I am a TD in a 2000 seat road house. There are actually a couple of us techies here.

BackStage

Newly Enlightened
Brock I'm a union stagehand and I freelance for a production company in staging, Tomcat roof system and so forth. I do a bit of acting as well currently in a production. I used to steward a old vaudeville theatre. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looks like a Arc will soon have a new home.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did someone say techie!

Hi Backstage, welcome. I work for a production company myself (mostly a sound guy). You can't go wrong with the Arc AAA and an Opalec Newbeam for your Mag 2AA as Brock suggested. You might want a more powerfull light to keep nearby in a bag, such as a Brinkman Legend LX or if you have a few bucks to spare a Surefire E2e or G2 if you need to search up in the truss systems from the ground or under a large stage in a dim environment. With my E2 I can search under most large stages for equipment or a cable break from one position. These unfortunately use somewhat expensive Lithium batteries, if you want to stick with AA size there are several 4AA lights that are plenty bright such as the PT Tec40 and UK 4AA.

The lights I have and use the most on a show are (in order of use) Surefire E2, Princeton Tec Aurora LED headlamp(usually worn around neck during setup), and a White Photon II on my keychain.

I actually had an Arc AAA but lost it
frown.gif
and I just ordered an Infinity Ultra.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
G'day and welcome BackStage,

Don't forget mod possibilities for your Mag 2D. Set aside the old spring (and spare bulb) fit/create a new spring and insert 3C cells in there - brighten it up instantly.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I just finished a production. I was, due to seniority reasons, "Assistant" sound. This meant that instead of getting to run ~18 channels on the nice Mackie I got to run 1. The CD player.

Anway...I didn't have a light for my Cue sheet, so my Energizer Folding LED accompanied me every night. Arc AAA and LS in pockets, ready to go. At first I also took Brinkmann Legend LX and Dorcy Cool Blue, but they just got played with...not used. I don't care so much about people playing with the Dorcy but I couldn't afford the batteries for people to play with the Legend LX. Eventually I scaled back to just the Energizer Folding LED and the 2 Arcs.

On stage is a whole 'nuther natter though...

Brock, is it just me...or do the sound guys have all the fun?

Lightsaber

Newly Enlightened
Glad to have a new member. Beware! This forum is very addictive. But, I find it as a way to relax.

PS. My wife wants to find the FA local chapter for me.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome Backstage. You'll find a lot of useful advice here from fellow show trash. I'm the TD for an opera company here in NYC. We do shows in the summer in central park. I always have two lights on my belt; a 6P (or G2) for general use and a blue Inova X5 for during the show and close-up work. Sometimes the Surefire is just too bright (can that be???) even with the LOLA. I also carry an 8x in my bag which is plenty bright to see the grid or spot killer rats at 50 yards, although the charger/battery sucks. Oh yeah, I also keep a 2AA Mag in my bag (as a loaner). The Surefire G2 (or the Streamlight Scorpion) can be had for about $40 and $30, respectively. Their size is comparable to a 2AA Mag and once the other guys on your crew see the difference the Mags will disappear.

Just my .02
Steve