Best Glow Powder

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Hey Ray, readysetglo.com has some of the better selections of glow powders that I've ordered from online. According to their estimates, the green and aqua glow powders (alkaline aluminate) have an after-glow of up to ten hours.

They're also having a sale right now, by the way.

If you'd like a test sample, such as just enough to coat the size of a mini-mag 2AA reflector, email me and I'll send it out... I have the green colored glow powder.

-Jim

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green Strontium aluminate works best. I'm using the Luminova(tm) kind since I heard it was pretty good. A fully charged painted area about the size of a quarter gives enough light to read or navigate (once dark adjusted) for well over an hour.

You can get the Ready set glow stuff from Ebay when they auction it off. I see 1 oz for $14 when you could probably get it for $8-9.
I got 1oz for $6 + a reasonable s/h off auction from Glowpro and it seems to work great. He even threw in 10g of red when I asked for just a pinch to try out.

Make sure you're geting the fine powder as it will mix better.

-Jason

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
what do you guys mix the glow powder with? I have a bottle of (I think) strontium aluminate in clear fingernail polish but it is next to impossible to mix it up. I ended up using one of those Genie Vortex lab mixers to get everything mixed up enough. And, even at that, it would separate out in like an hour.

What other options are there?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.glowinc.com Is where I have gotten the powder that I sold to a few members including you Chris. They also have a new liquid base out that is much better than the nail polish and keeps it suspended forever! (as compared to nailpolish)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike:

Thanks for the lead to the suspension paint media. I'm glad I haven't yet bought any nail polish.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bushman said:
www.glowinc.com Is where I have gotten the powder that I sold to a few members including you Chris. They also have a new liquid base out that is much better than the nail polish and keeps it suspended forever! (as compared to nailpolish)

[/ QUOTE ]
Mike;
Have you personally used any of that new (glowinc) liquid premixed stuff yet?

Alledges

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PieThatCorner said:
Hey Ray, readysetglo.com has some of the better selections of glow powders that I've ordered from online. According to their estimates, the green and aqua glow powders (alkaline aluminate) have an after-glow of up to ten hours.

They're also having a sale right now, by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

ReadySetGlo website has Green 1oz for $14 on sale. Search eBay ReadySetGlo for $6.99 1oz Green. Lots of other major discounts as well including 9 color samplers. Also has audio intro to products. Easy to hear Shannon's canadian eh.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the info. I couldn't remember who it was I got mine from.

I'm excited to try the new stuff. Is that (so far) the best solution?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, i've been using the green stuff from elektrolumens, and it works great!

i spray on an undercoat of white paint, then the powder, clear, powder, clear, powder, clear, powder, clear, powder, about that many times, really depends though.

is the readysetglo stuff any brighter?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've turned all Strontium Aluminate sales over to my wife. Her website is www.glowlady.com
. She sells the blue and green glow powder for only $10 per ounce. This is not a sale but the regular price. The quality of glow powder is the best stuff on the market.

I like to buy 3/4 oz bottles of clear fingernail polish, and mix in about 1/4 teaspoon of the powder into the polish. You can add more if you want more glow. I put a base coat of white on whatever it is I'm painting. Then apply the polish that has the glow powder mixed into it. Then go over it with clear, to protect the powder from any contact with moisture (moisture will neutralize the glow). A 1" diameter disc will light up a 12X12 room. I've been meaning to do a 12" square, but never got to it yet. I would mix in the glow powder in clear paint, and spray it. (I used to be an auto painter).

I wonder what a car would look like, with a top coat of glow powder mixed in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wayne

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks wayne /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the stuff really is amazing!
people are amazed when the optic glows bright green /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frangible

Enlightened
Doesn't that lessen the brightness of the beam?

I think I'll have to stick with tritium...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i don't coat the optic itself, i coat the area surrounding the optic.
sometimes this is accomplished by coating the inside of the head, sometimes i make a special "cup" to perfectly surround the optic for optimal results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rothrandir, do you use the white base coat first? I'm going to use some glow powder inside my KL1 when I change out the LS to an R2H. Any tips? Thanks.

Peter

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i don't think so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you really should try it!
it's not hard to do (i haven't tried the nailpolish method, that may be easier or harder), but the results are wonderful.