Peak Eiger- built like a tank (accidental torture test)

rider

Newly Enlightened
I inadvertently subjected my Peak Eiger to torture over the past few days. First it was accidentally slammed into a heavy door that completely unraveled its moorings from my keychain. I searched high and low and wasn't able to find it until it showed up in the dryer after a full dry following a cycle on Sanitary in the washer. It's definitely nice and shiny, none the worse for being smashed, being boiled in water for two hours, or being baked in the dryer. I don't normally treat my lights like this, but it's nice to see the amazing durability Peak built into that tiny torch!

In the picture below, you can see the unscathed light, the remnants of a McGizmo clip and the damage to the large split ring.

The oval looking thing at the top of the picture used to be another split ring, but it was completely reformed by the force of the initial impact.

peak_eiger_durable2.jpg

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Re: Peak Eiger- built like a tank

WOW!!!

Definitely my favorite 10180/AAA light right now, I have many of them and all in stainless, so this is good to see.

Sorry your light had to go through this, but I appreciate the test none the less!!!

How did the poly lens hold up? Is your a medium beam model? That would seem to be the one weak link to me, but it sounds like even that held up under the bashing, hot water and heat.

DUMDUM

Enlightened

Peak does try to make all their lights built to last, from the smallest to the largest. Glad that one did as advertised.
Bob

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might replace the battery after all that thrashing.

Peak lights are generally more robust than the batteries which power them.

rider

Newly Enlightened

WOW!!!

Definitely my favorite 10180/AAA light right now, I have many of them and all in stainless, so this is good to see.

Sorry your light had to go through this, but I appreciate the test none the less!!!

How did the poly lens hold up? Is your a medium beam model? That would seem to be the one weak link to me, but it sounds like even that held up under the bashing, hot water and heat.

This is a medium beam. The lens and the seal (I think Peak uses RTV silicon to seal the lens into the head before applying the trim ring) were intact.

rider

Newly Enlightened

yeah, they make a durable shell but typically forget about physical battery protection which is just as important in the "making light" scheme of things

I don't know how much protection you can put in a 10180 / 10280 / 10440 / AAA body without seriously compromising portability and convenience. The cells aren't very massive anyway.

I love my HDS, but the thing is big- I'm not going to carry two of them. :)

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

I don't know how much protection you can put in a 10180 / 10280 / 10440 / AAA body without seriously compromising portability and convenience. The cells aren't very massive anyway.

I love my HDS, but the thing is big- I'm not going to carry two of them. :)

all they would have to do is put a spring on the neg end and have a way to protect the positive nub from being flattened in an impact.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want an Eiger AA, with triple the output, like the El Capitan. The El Cap doesn't cut it for me: There are no options for warm or wide.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eiger AA, wide and neutral/warm :twothumbs. El cap could be made better, but I simply do not like it's name. I plan at some point to buy a SS Eiger near zero for long run times.

I want an Eiger AA, with triple the output, like the El Capitan. The El Cap doesn't cut it for me: There are no options for warm or wide.

Norm

Retired Administrator
My El Capitan is my least favorite Peak, I like the format but my light has a slightly green tint and a small shadow in the beam. For all practical purposes it's fine, only noticeable when hunting white walls.
Norm