How to repair a hole in a wall (of light)

fyrstormer

Banned
Thread title changed to improve clarity. :duh2:

CIMG4430a.png

I installed an MC-E in my Arc6 a few months ago, after testing an MC-E in a McR20 reflector and found it produced a nice beam, but the Arc6 reflector is just a bit shorter and that's apparently just enough to open a bit of a donut-hole in the center of the beam. The darn thing is so bright it almost doesn't matter, but it was still a little unsatisfying to have to point the light a little off-center to get the brightest illumination on the target.

The best solution, I suppose, would be to install a different reflector, but the Arc6's reflector is a custom size and I don't have the wherewithal to design my own reflector and have it built. But I do had a couple sheets of flash-diffuser film laying around, so I figured I'd slap a piece on the lense and see what the resulting beam looked like. What I got was this:

CIMG4434.jpg

CIMG4435.jpg

Not a beam artifact to be seen, as you'd expect. I'm quite happy with the results. It loses a bit of throw as a result, also as you'd expect, but the Arc6 is intended to be a Wall Of Light flashlight anyway, so that's fine. It's still just as bright as my Mac EDC SST-50, so the loss in throw is only an academic point anyway (it reaches the tops of the trees across the street from my house), and now the beam is smoother than whipped butter.

Definitely something worth trying if you have a Wall Of Light with a hole punched in it. :D

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How to repair a hole in a wall.

Very nice job!

Seems like a very simple fix for widespread application - perhaps the thread title could be changed a bit so others will be more likely to notice.

Does this film raise any issues with heat?

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: How to repair a hole in a wall.

Very nice job!

Seems like a very simple fix for widespread application - perhaps the thread title could be changed a bit so others will be more likely to notice.

Does this film raise any issues with heat?
It might have issues with sustained use, but flash-diffuser film gets blasted pretty hard when it's used on flashbulbs, so I think it can withstand it. Anyway, for this application I applied it to the outside of the lense, so it's got the sapphire lense to keep it cool.