canon scanner image size issue???

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a canoscan 3000/3000F

now i was scanning a coin in a pcgs holder, scanner was set to lettter size,,,the coin holder is 3 1/4 by 2 1/4..Most of the scans come in as @300dpi and 2530 x 3494...obviously i seea small image on a large page,,then use old 1995 mgi photo suite to resize...now sometimes the scanner scans a different size?? 669x1049,,,this shows the image alot better i cant figure out how to make it scan this way and not when "just when the scanner wants"

TIA

PhotoWiz

Newly Enlightened
I'm not familiar with that particular scanner, but most of them have a selection tool that allows you to scan only a portion of the scan area. You should never have to scan a full sheet if you just want that small area. Of course if you have your scan set at a fixed dpi and you crop more tightly on the subject matter, the file size will be reduced. It sounds like that is what is happening, but I don't know what is making the selection size change.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the off topic, but what's coin?
from wikipedia

A coin is a piece of hard material that is standardized in weight, is produced in large quantities in order to facilitate trade, and primarily can be used as a legal tender token for commerce in the designated country, region, or territory.

Coins are usually metal or a metallic material and sometimes made of synthetic materials, usually in the shape of a disc, and most often issued by a government. Coins are used as a form of money in transactions of various kinds, from the everyday circulation coins to the storage of large numbers of bullion coins. In the present day, coins and banknotes make up the cash forms of all modern money systems. Coins made for paying bills and general monetized use are usually used for lower-valued units, and banknotes for the higher values; also, in most money systems, the highest value coin made for circulation is worth less than the lowest-value note. The face value of circulation coins is usually higher than the gross value of the metal used in making them, but this is not generally the case with historical circulation coins made of precious metals.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
for some reason its auto cropping the image, it does this when it wants to..