Anyone using the new NiteCore EZAA R5 for keychain duty?

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
After bouncing around considering different 1xAA lights... I think I've pretty much decided to wait for the ZL SC51 to come out, and will carry it clipped to my front pocket. However, I have always liked to carry a light on my keychain... because I know that I will always have it with me.

I have carried an LOD Q4 on my keychain for the last couple of years. I would like to replace it now with a small 1xAA light that is more powerful, brighter, with better runtime. I'm considering the new compact NiteCore EZAA R5 in its place for keychain duty.

How many of you are using the new EZAA R5 on your keychain? Or do you just drop it in your pocket?

Also, how do you like it overall... new UI, beam, brightness, etc.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AA battery is too heavy for keychain use. I keep my Arc AAA on my keychain and the EZAA loose in my pocket.

The EZAA is still quite big compared to an AAA light.
Millermods-EasyAA-size.jpg

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Like the Ninja I've got an Arc AAA on the keychain, and to me that's almost too big. Not really the best thing for ignition switches to have extra weight straining them anyway. I find it's much easier to get to my main light if it's all by itself in the front pocket.

Geoff

coman

Newly Enlightened
EZAA R5 is a perfect EDC keychain flashlight for me. I have used it for almost one month.:whistle:

T2cW4lXmtaXXXXXXXX_!!283341832.jpg

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
EZAA R5 is a perfect EDC keychain flashlight for me. I have used it for almost one month.:whistle:

coman... is that pic after one months use on your keychain or when you got it new?

Also, how do you like the new UI, and the brightness of the light on 1xAA L91 primaries?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starchaser... not sure if you actually want something larger and heavier or just more output.

I would consider the Preon 1 with the loop ring on it instead of the clip as an excellent three-mode candidate for someone who wants a potent keychain light... unless you specifically want something larger and heavier. LD01 is an awesome light as well.

What is it about the LOD Q4 that is not meeting your needs?

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
What is it about the LOD Q4 that is not meeting your needs?

I have enjoyed the LOD Q4 for a couple of years. As you know from my latest post I've been wanting to buy a new 1xAA light with an XP-G R5, but the D11 and others have fallen short. So I have decided to just wait for the new SC51 to come out.

I'm just bored with the LOD Q4, and I have an itch to get something now while I wait. :)

I want to get a small 1xAA for my keychain like the NiteCore EZAA R5, that will be brighter with more output and use the same batteries as the ZebraLight SC51. I don't mind something a little bigger than the LOD.

I was just wondering how other owners of the new EZAA R5 like it overall with the new UI, and if they carry it on their keychain as advertised.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just bored with the LOD Q4, and I have an itch to get something now while I wait. :)

I thought that might be the case, having had the same itches myself from time to time. ;) I'm tellin' ya, man... you should consider hanging a Preon from that keychain! :whistle: You want some serious output from a keychain light... the Preon on a 10440 matches the output of a Malkoff M60 in a 6P running on two 16340s!... not concentrated for throw, but flooded for great utility. :thumbsup: And you'll hardly even notice that it's on your keychain.

EDITED to add... I think I just read that you already have a Preon! SO, never mind, I'm preachin' to da choir now! ;)

Last edited:

Font size

Newly Enlightened
As far as size goes. The R2 is perfect for a keychain spotlight.
The AA battery is too heavy for keychain use.
It has a range of about 50 yards in all directions and I run it on 14500 power. I would like to know how the beam is different from the R5 to the spotlight R2. Does the R5 have more flood than the R2 keychain spotlight?

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
As far as size goes. The R2 is perfect for a keychain spotlight. It has a range of about 50 yards in all directions and I run it on 14500 power. I would like to know how the beam is different from the R5 to the spotlight R2. Does the R5 have more flood than the R2 keychain spotlight?

If you are referring to the XR-E of the old EZAA vs. the XP-G of the new EZAA R5... yes the XP-G will have more flood.

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
I pounced last night... at just $35 it wasn't a difficult "click" to make. Looking forward to getting this!

DHart... I noticed in another thread you mentioned getting the NiteCore EZAA R5 for $35.

Can you please tell me where you purchased it for that price?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
DHart... I noticed in another thread you mentioned getting the NiteCore EZAA R5 for $35.

Can you please tell me where you purchased it for that price?

tacticalleds.com

I returned mine, because it had less output than I expected and was just slightly ringy. There may have been nothing wrong with the one I got and these aren't necessarily "problems", but the light just didn't thrill me like I hoped it would... so I returned it. (Perhaps I'm D10 R2 spoiled. ;) )

Last edited:

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
Well... I guess not many CPF'ers are very interested in the NiteCore EZAA R5.

In fact, it looks like NiteCore isn't doing very well at all, with any of their latest upgraded offerings.

piang829

Newly Enlightened
I have the EZAA R5 but i dont use it for key chain duty, i feel like its too big and heavy for that. I like to carry it separately to keep my key chain accessories to a minimum. For key chain duty i like to go with AAA flashlights, right now im using the Fenix E05 for key chain duty and works fine.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the EZAA R5 but i dont use it for key chain duty, i feel like its too big and heavy for that. I like to carry it separately to keep my key chain accessories to a minimum. For key chain duty i like to go with AAA flashlights, right now im using the Fenix E05 for key chain duty and works fine.

:thinking: I guess you didn't notice that this thread is two years old....

Last edited: