Dorcy Spyder Tactical Light

B

BULLDOG

Has anyone ever had any experience with the Dorcy Spyder Tactical Light? It is 119.5 lumens, tactical aluminum flashlight, powerful high pressure 4.8V, 1.22A Xenon bulb, rubber grip and trim, focusable beam, rubber booted push button switch, includes two 3 volt lithium batteries and belt holster. Any feedback would be appreciated.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
it has been spoke of around here, let me find the post for you in exchange for a free SF L4, hehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i can tell you that it is small! smaller than most of the other 2 123 lights out there.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Howard,

The Dorcy is definitely a light worth owning and stocking. It holds its own surprisingly well against my collection of 2x123 lights and is smaller than most and among the brighter lights in this category but the "119 lumen" figure should be viewed with considerable skepticism.The included holster is quite sturdily contructed. At approximately $15.00 per light the Dorcy Spyder is a genuine steal.

Brightnorm

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howard-You would sell a zillion of these things if you can get relaible supply of bulbs and such. The price point guarantees a lot of sales.

It does NOT take a manufacturing genius to make an aluminum tube, without regulation, and a decent reflector and bulb.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Spyder's an outstanding light for the price, and I think you'd do well to carry them. I seem to be the lucky fool that stumbled onto them, so I've had plenty of time to "play" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Here's my 5W Luxeon modded Spyder.. You might find some more usefull info there.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, and they are tough to find, unless you live near one of the chosen COSTCO stores that had them....

---dan

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I was one of the lucky ones who goy a two-pack of these. The Spyder is definitely not 119 lumens. It is about as bright as a SF E2e or a SL Scorpion.

Paul

alberto

Enlightened
Looks like more Costco stores are getting the Dorcy Spyders. I just picked mine up in the store in Kennesaw, GA that didn't have them in June/July when the original thread started here.

I'm very impressed with the light and the price ($26.99 for 2-pack), with very nice holsters and Duracell batteries. Construction is excellent quality and it feels good in the hand. The light output is equal to my other 2x123 lights: ASP Triad 2, SF E2e, and E2e/P61 mod. It's hotspot is actually a little brighter but not as smooth as those with a textured reflector, which I prefer.

My expectations were exceeded and I'll allow these lights to sit next to my SFs any day. If these things start showing up at Wally World and Big K, watch out MiniMug.

E

EchoSierraTwo

Do you intend on selling them? Cause I am interested.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a pack at the local Costco, planning to drop one in each car. At tightest focus, pretty damn good for the price!

Okay, so what do we do about replacement bulbs? Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to keep a replacement bulb for each in the car, stored with the light.

Joe

Deanster

Enlightened
Yep - they just showed up at my Costco here in Seattle. Also $27 for two with open-top Nylon holsters and Duracell Ultra batteries. They compete head to head with my Surefire G2 for brightness, but the beam is much more fractured and choppy. The tailcap switch doesn't offer momentary, just on and off.

However, at $13.50 each with batteries and holster, they are about 1/3 the price of the G2 (usually $35-ish). I'd say 80% of the performance at 35% of the price is a fine deal. I'll be buying these for all my family's vehicles, giving them as gifts, etc.

However, my G2 will remain in my bag as my EDC light, mostly because it's lighter and I like polymer.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Just showed up at the Costco here in Ft. Worth this last week also.

When you factor in the price for the 4 Duracell Ultra lithiums, $27 a pair is NOT a bad price at all!

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
Just showed up at the Costco in Concord, CA at $26.99 for a two-pack. Are a little smaller than the Scorpion, but brightness seems comparable. For the price with the Duracell 123's, an absolute best buy. One goes in each car.

DaveT

Enlightened
And they're at the Costco in Brooklyn, NY. I picked it up twice but left without it - very tempting. Probably next visit.

E

EchoSierraTwo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif COME ON! are you going to carry them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif