New and need advise.

fightin14

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys/gals I am new to this forum and new to modifying flashlights, however I am a flashlight nerd. My current collection is as follows, Surefire 6p, Blackhawk Gladius, (2) fenix ld20, and an inova. But to get to the point of the post, I am wanting to modify my surefire and understand how it all works. Can you guys point me in the direction on where I can find this information?

morelightnow

Enlightened
Your going to be overwhelmed with information about your surefire. There is a lot (understatement) of lamp assemblies, bodies, heads, and tailcaps for those. I'm a noob when it comes to surefires, but follow these steps for success.

First, you need to decide if you will be using regular batteries or rechargables. Second, figure out if you prefer led or incandescent lamp assemblies. With the 6p you can have both and swap them out when you feel like it. After that it's on to details like choosing a floody beam for close up illumination or narrow beam to see farther away. Use the search function first for most of your inquires. There will be days of reading for you.

Welcome to cpf

fightin14

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your response, I did a search and found a few things but I think I am highly uneducated on the electrical(resistors,MAH,Volts,etc.. I understand what these things are but not real sure as far as flashlights and how to make it all work safely, reliably, and effectively.) part of this whole deal. I am wanting to gain some decent throw and rechargeable is the direction i am heading in. Thanks again.

morelightnow

Enlightened
Also check out member Nailbender thread in the modified BST section for led lamp assemblies. He has lots of options for led choice including color and ultraviolet models.

Rechargeable battery options are:

2 RCR123
2 IMR123
1 18650

for the 18650 you must bore the body out to a bigger diameter. You can have that done by service in modified section or buy pre-bored host from oveready.com.

AW sell all those batteries over on the marketplace forum which is separate from cpf.

IMR's put out more current than the other two and are also much safer to use. The other two must be used and charged with care. go to battery section and do reading there for more information.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've come across some generic threads on troubleshooting, so explains how things work - last thread is REALLY good;

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/227518

Little more advanced;
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/247543

Rechargeable batteries...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201375

THere is a thread on using a DMM that is REALLY good...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/236906

Nailbender makes good drop-ins for your 6P ("P60" is the generic term for these drop-ins)
Oveready.com sells lots of options - bezel rings, different tail / switch options.

pwatcher

Enlightened
Another rechargeable option for the 6p is the 17670 size battery. Single cell, and fits without having to modify (bore out) the flashlight body.

It's main advantage over 2 RCR123's is safety. You don't have to worry about the cells being charged to equal levels, since it's just a single cell. Not quite as much runtime as an 18650 size, but depending on your needs, probably plenty?

Think about the tint you are after. Super bright (cool) for blinding BG's, or neutral/warm for better color rendition outdoors. There are lots of led drop ins all of which are a snap to substitute for the P60/61 incan lamp assembly in a stock 6P. There are variations in tint and output level (some have multiple levels built in), which give different runtimes on a charge, all depending how you plan to mostly use the light.

GL! :welcome:

Last edited: