Another "Would you still buy a *insert CPF classic light*" thread

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it always interesting to see how some of the classics, updated, modded or stock, measure up to some of the new guys on the block. I've seen such threads on the Gerber Infinity, Arc AAA and so on, but I'd like to bring one up that I can't seem to find a thread on here that's been active since 2005. Palight. I don't know where the heck my sudden interest in them came from, they're still pretty unique. I myself have never owned one, but they seemed to be pretty popular on here back in it's day. I know they don't use 18650's and XP-G's, however they are bringing back an old discontinued model, the Selector which has a 7 stage press and hold ramping UI and when I e-mailed them to ask their choice of LED, I was pleased to get a response in less than 2 hours on a saturday morning of: We use the best! Nichia 5mm LED. NSPW500DS

So what do you guys think? Seems like they still have good customer CS, still American made and with the latest moon mode craze, it seems like these guys may still fit in as much now as back then. The price seems right too, 16.99 shipped.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are still great lights. I love their moon mode, and the way they get the last drop of energy out of a 9v battery [from "used-up" smoke detector cells]. I did like the older rubber case as opposed to the hard plastic one - the older one is not as water resistant, but was smaller. For the type of use I give it, waterproofness isn't a concern. $17 shipped is a good deal.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never heard of that company before, but based on what you've described, I'd buy some.

I've gotten over the "must have the latest emitter/technology" thing.

In the last month or so I have acquired the following "old tech" lights:
Fenix L0P
Fenix P2D Premium 100
Fenix P2D Q2
Huntlight FT04XJA3 (Lux 1 S-bin)
Huntlight FT04XJA3 (SSC P4 U-bin)

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are now safe light... just picked up a handyman model on CPFMP!

In the last month I have also acquired a SS single LED Peak Kilimanjaro, fantastic AA battery drainer.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was tempted to buy a "pak lite" but passed since i already own a Milky candle:shrug:. I love my old Arcs where the majority of them are at Milky labs right now.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, PALight is now owned by Safe-Light, the Handyman and Lantern are still called Safe-Lights, but the Survivor, Selector and Star are still called PALights. The before mentioned Selector and the new Star, which is just 2 modes, glow and high and also has a 25 minute revert back to glow feature, are expected to be available at the end of October, I think I'm going to get an orange Selector myself. Also for those who do not know, the lights referred to as PALights use an aspheric optic for a tight beam that's similar to the original Inova X1.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "selector" model I had did not have a very wide range of outputs. Went from low to medium with many levels in between IIRC.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "selector" model I had did not have a very wide range of outputs. Went from low to medium with many levels in between IIRC.

That's to kind of be expected for such a low lumen/5mm light, however I suspect/hope the new selector, having a better LED than the old, will have a better range.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I was looking at the Safe-light page a couple weeks ago. I haven't ever bought one but they haven't declined in interest.

I would still buy a Photon Proton Pro. It's a great little light that still sees load of use. It's my alternate EDC and with the red LED on my running after dark light. Nothing newer really compares to it's capability.

carrot

Flashaholic
I find it always interesting to see how some of the classics, updated, modded or stock, measure up to some of the new guys on the block. I've seen such threads on the Gerber Infinity, Arc AAA and so on, but I'd like to bring one up that I can't seem to find a thread on here that's been active since 2005. Palight. I don't know where the heck my sudden interest in them came from, they're still pretty unique. I myself have never owned one, but they seemed to be pretty popular on here back in it's day. I know they don't use 18650's and XP-G's, however they are bringing back an old discontinued model, the Selector which has a 7 stage press and hold ramping UI and when I e-mailed them to ask their choice of LED, I was pleased to get a response in less than 2 hours on a saturday morning of: We use the best! Nichia 5mm LED. NSPW500DS

So what do you guys think? Seems like they still have good customer CS, still American made and with the latest moon mode craze, it seems like these guys may still fit in as much now as back then. The price seems right too, 16.99 shipped.
Wow! Defloyd you were thinking exactly what I was thinking... that the PALight is an extremely underrepresented light on the forums, and at your mention of a "selector" model I went and checked out their website. What a change since 2006! I have a couple PALights sitting on my desk, but I think they are based on the Nichia BS and could certainly use an output boost considering modern lights. The new(er) models certainly look tempting and I will probably end up picking up one or two. I do like these lights and I love the unique form factor.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to post a link to the thread that I had been updating information from James at Safelight, but I can't find the now 5 year old thread:thinking:. It's only been about a month since the last update, so it should have been easy to find by my posts.

Any-hoo: James has agreed to do a CPF special similar to the one he ran when the Superbrights launched. I'll probably need to start a new MP thread once they are available now. He expected to open the offer around thanksgiving, so this won't help anyone in a hurry. The deal will be buy one, get one free. It will be limited to two offers per model, or four Selectors, and four Stars. So you could get up to eight lights at half off, if you max out both models. I'll try to post a link here when the time comes and I open the MP thread. I know I will be getting at least four Selectors, thinking about the Stars as well.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Found a PALight a few years ago at the Cabela's in Wheeling, WV. It shines eternally in my workshop. I seem to recall it having very flat regulation (thanks Roy), which was pretty rare at the time.

Geoff

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found a PALight a few years ago at the Cabela's in Wheeling, WV. It shines eternally in my workshop. I seem to recall it having very flat regulation (thanks Roy), which was pretty rare at the time.

Geoff

That flat regulation is due to the battery staying well above the forward voltage of the LED until it is almost totally exhausted. Yay 9 volts! :party:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
That CPF special sounds great, but I might be under the "can't wait" group.:ohgeez: I'd also like to have an orange one, I'm not sure if we can pick colors with the CPF special?

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in as a PALight fan. I own a orange PALight Survival,and I find it's perfect for getting around my apartment at night.(Not too bright to wreck my night vision,but bright enough that I don't trip and fall.) Well worth the money.