Weird....R2 drop-in not changing modes in sunlight

Manual Man

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know why this is happening? Heres what happened: I have my flashlight in my pack and pull it out to show my mate (in direct sunlight) and go to change the modes and it won't change...I thought perhaps it was broken or battery was too low (or something) so put it back in my pack. With nothing to do, five minutes later I pull it back out of my pack to have another look at it, with bezel(?) pressed into my hand I try again to switch modes.... success, it changes modes. A little puzzled I tilt the torch away from my hand and allow the daylight to enter the head, and try to change mode...nothing happens...it just continues to switch on and off high mode, after trying this in both dark and in direct sunlight a few times I am reasonably confident the sunlight is the cause

Taking a (not so) educated guess I would say that while in sunlight some sort of current is being produced by the emitter (like a mini solar panel) and so the circuit board in the flashlight does not read a cut in the current and so does not change mode. Anyone out there able to enlighten me?

Cheers

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your guess is spot on, an LED does act as a mini-photovoltaic cell when exposed to bright light, usually not enough to actually do anything, but it's likely that it's screwing with the multimode circuit (which requires an on/off cycle)