Varapower tailcap current

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi guys,

i've just got a new Varapower 1000 with UCL lens, domeless LED and copper heatsink. It's really well made, but i have some worries about it.

First, the light sometimes "flickers" a bit, it's not the PWM, it's more likely when you, for example, try to twist the tailcap from a light when the light is still turned on. I try that with my light and the sympoms are the same when i try to twist the tailcap off. Where exactly does the ground connection go in this rebel maglites? Is the route connected through the outer edge of the taicap or through threads? Would it help if i clean the threads or sand the edge of the maglite body a bit where it comes in touch with tailcap?

Second, what tailcap currents do you guys get? I'm getting only around 2A but again, i just can't make my multimeter to make a good contact with the battery tube... Batteries are new (4000mah Conrad nimh LSD batteries), with 1.28V when they were used for a few minutes.

Some people also reported that the SST-50 led really starts to give it's best after a while (currents grew 2 times after a few "work hours").

If someone have the VP1000, i would really like to know what currents do their VP1000 pull.

Thanks, B.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current: Kevin said due to the PWM it would not be what actually hits the LED. I have seen 2A and some have seen 5A on theirs.

The fact that it flickers on high sounds bad. Just email Kevin and he should be able to fix it ASAP for you.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall correctly the VARA1000 I tested was getting around 2A~3A too.

Lambdalights___________SST-50____________3 NiMH C Tenergy__________ 818.5_____ 1 sec________________________
2D Mag _____________VARAPower1000_______________________________741.5_____30 sec________________________
___________________________________________________________ ____ 721.5______1 min________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 696.9______2 min________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 687.7______3 min________________________
Lambdalights___________SST-50___________3 NiMH C Accupower_________ 877.7_____ 1 sec_____1,203_______30,075__
2D Mag _____________VARAPower1000_______________________________746.2_____30 sec________________________
___________________________________________________________ ____ 720.8______1 min________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 665.4______2 min________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 629.2______3 min________________________

pulstar

Enlightened
It's not the flickering as we all know it (on/off rapidly). It just looks like it changes a few modes very fast. On the other hand, now when the the tailcap was twisted on and of a few times "flickering" dissappeared (for now).

Is it possible that some contacts were anodized but they shouldn't been?

Overall, it's a very nice light that really throws.
BTW, have you seen ALL 38 brightness levels when you tried to change between them one at a time?

Thanks for your answers:wave: