The V-LED emitter.

Neondiod

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

Has anyone tried this emitter from Weldon Technologies? According to their site http://www.v-led.com/ they have red and yellow emitters that accomplish 95 lumens at 350 mA, wich I think is astonishing!

Their emitter have a uniq solder free design, replacing this is as easy as changing a light bulb :)

Farnell have them and they seams to be affordable too.

BR

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mount technology is certainly interesting but it seems like it would be more costly on a large scale to implement than the standard star technology which only needs a flat metal surface and two screws to mount. It looks like they're increasing the complexity of the led and also that of the light fixture with having a center threaded conductor/heatsink and a ground ring contact. I only see the advantage of this system in the rapid replacement of led's by the end user, which is ironic because led's are supposed to eliminate the need for bulb changes what with their 50,000 hour lifespan.

Oh and what's with the 52 lumen rating at 350mw? This is worse than luxeon 1 leds.

Last edited:

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Problem is, not too many lights come with 'rapid replacement' LEDs.
These would be great for street lights, outdoor flood/spot lights.... since you can simply replace a burnt out LED without having to replace the entire housing. But, none of the V-LED are 10w-100w strong!!!!

Being able to 'maintain' LED lights is something that I want. I've seen all those fancy LED fog/headlight/taillight designs on cars and HATE them because of the replace all or nothing, and dispose design/mentality. Can say the same about home bulbs. Many have several LEDs and if any one goes, light is toast. Designs, at the typical LED price, should be serviceable.

Weldon is a pretty well known company as the V-LED is their product.... not to be confused with V-LEDs......

The quality, brand of LED, and material of mounting system, lens development..... are also unknown.

But, the simplicity is definitely in the right direction. Get me some with P7, SST50/90, MC-E, XPG, Rebel ES, Bridgelux..... LEDs on quality aluminum or copper materials for the mount/thread, with a bunch of different lens choices, and I'd consider it.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wouldn't be too hard to design a user replaceable led system using current technology, ie a star. In fact my P7 led flashlight seems to be an ideal example. The led is on a star and the two screws are the conductors. One is a ground and the other is a positive. It's ideal because they didn't change a single design item of the existing star standard. All they did was use an small metal extension to the screws soldered to the traces on the stars.

There's a philosophy of good engineering that almost all engineers ignore but have to be reminded by the people who actually manufacture things called "DFMA", Design For Manufacturing And Assembly. The design may be good but if it serves no other purpose but the sake of design it only adds cost and lowers your chance of getting it approved by the finance guys. This to me seems just like one of those examples. And from the looks of it, where not a single actual photo is on the site, things don't look good for this technology. It's likely to go down as just another design exercise.

Last edited:

Neondiod

Newly Enlightened
In fact my P7 led flashlight seems to be an ideal example. The led is on a star and the two screws are the conductors. One is a ground and the other is a positive. All they did was use an small metal extension to the screws soldered to the traces on the stars.
Intresting, sounds really nice:) any photos?

OK, the usefulness of the V-LED design can be questionable:shrug: I find it challanging to do a simple design for coupling these emitters in series:thinking:

But still, the 95 lumens at 350 mA for red and yellow is way above anything else I've seen before:poke: Even the Lumileds PC Amber is beaten by 20 lumens. Is it a typo?

BR

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a typo?

Probably.

Their blues are getting 12lumens at 470nm at 350mA, which is really, really bad. This explains why their whites are getting 52 lumens per watt.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I don't want to and would probably destroy the light to dismantle the light as I've glued the whole light head together to make it waterproof.

Neondiod

Newly Enlightened
Each color of the V-LED have two data cheets. For the red and yellow there's 40- and 95 lumen models and the drive current is different rated too. But for the rest of the colours I cant see any differens between the data cheets:confused:. But at Farnell there's a white in 52- and 80 lumen modell. So somewhere I beleave there's a typo.

I'm thinking of getting some of these anyway, just for the difference:)

BR