Can I run L91's in my SL 3AA lux?

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
Can I run L91\'s in my SL 3AA lux?

The one I have (SL 3AA Lux) is slightly green, I was wondering if the lithiums would make a difference in color or output?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can I run L91\'s in my SL 3AA lux?

I haven't tried this with my 3AA Lux, but I wish someone would. I don't want to fry it. Streamlight specifically prohibits Lithium use in the alkaline lights (from Greg at Brightguy, he called them). Their position is understandable, as they don't want a lot of returns.

Several threads have indicated that overdriving a slightly green Luxeon will whiten it. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

harebawl

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies. Ok who out there with experience with mods, etc... Has an educated guess on weather this will work or not? Is it remotely possible, fairly safe, or way out left field out of the question...??? I'm willing to try this if it's possible.....Anyone?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not my light, but I suspect the lithium L91's are NOT the problem, NiMh and NiCd's are. The lamp probably depends to some extent on the internal resistance of the battery to limit current flow. The NiMh and NiCd's have exceptionally low internal resistance, and if feed directly the LED, might be able to seriously overdrive them.

Similar story in camera's. Early Motor Driver specifically prohibited the use of NiCd's. Seems the camera depended on the internal resistance of the batteries to limit power to the drive motor. When it came to the end of the film, the limit caused the motor to stall, and that marked the end of the reel. When you used NiCd's, they had such low internal resistance that they could deliver much more power to the motor, and instead of stalling, it either ripped the film sprockets, or ripped the film right off the spool!

The 1.5 volt Lithium Iron Dispulphide battery chemisty has resistance that is only slighly lower then alkalines, but probably still well above what you get out of NiCd's...

harebawl

Newly Enlightened

Ok, this light has great throw compared to my reactor 3. It is just a little on the green side, my reactor is super white, mabey a tinge on the blue side. Does anyone have a guess weather lith, NiCd, or NiMh's will make a change? It seems to me, reading about overdriving and direct driving the Luxeon should be able to take it....? Heat is not a problem, the light doesn't even get a little warm, like the reactor does. Someone give me the a-ok and I will try it this weekend? Which batt's should I buy? And am I wrong in thinking that it should make a diff...?

Sharp

Enlightened

L.E.D.s and Luxeons aren't like incandescent lights. You can't change light's color by using different batteries. By using lithium batteries in an L.E.D. (I tested on Controlled L.E.D.s, not passive) you can increase the output but the color won't change. If you get a green Luxeon, you stay with it(I've got a green Reactor 3, so I understand your pain).

Is SL's passive or controlled? Because if it's passive, keep lithium away from it. Reactor 3 is passive and also CMG specifies non-lithium batteries. Don't remember where I read it though.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

CMG says "no lithium batteries" for the Reactor 3 right on the packaging. I'm guessing you'll let out all the magic smoke of the resistor and the LED if you use them.
I don't know where my Reactor 3 is at the moment, so I can't check the resistor value.

If there's a "do not use lithium batteries" warning for the SL 3-AA, it's probably a good idea to heed that warning.
Unless of course, you enjoy letting the magic smoke out of things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sharp

Enlightened

Nice.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif disposable SL Magic Smoke Luxeon Star.