What am I doing wrong? *DELETED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What am I doing wrong?

I've got to ask the obvious question, is the polarity correct?

GregR

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I tried connecting the wires to either end of the battery(s). Is that good enough? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

The battery plus should connect to the center terminal, the negative to the outer ring. Use 3 volts, no more. (That's one 123 or two AAs.)

Paul

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did that, getting no results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif Will try some further experiments. Appreciate any more advice or insights.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I tried touching the wires to the leads on the led, bypassing the board and it lit up[quite bright too]. I have no clue what to do now. Maybe boards are bad? I have several of them though and none of them are working.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm. I don't know what to tell you. But CPF has some people with a lot of experience doing this. My advice would be to post what test equipment you might have, if any -- like a multimeter. Then give our expert modders some time to respond. Sit back, have a cigar, watch a game, and check back later this evening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Paul

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL, the usual routine eh? Unfortunately don't have a multi meter. Maybe I'll post in Moders' area.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry. I don't mean to "usual routine" you . . . at least it's not malicious. All I can do is wish you luck.

Paul

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

aaa or ls?
all the ls boards i got with grey kits were missing the schottkey diode.no diode no light!

[ QUOTE ]
webley445 said:
I got a couple of Arc leds with boards attached. Was going to make a led light for the baby's room [actually the third one]. I cannot get them to light up. I soldered a wire to the center terminal and the outer ring, but it doesn't light up when I connect them to a battery, even tried two batteries. Am I doing something wrong? Did I waste my time and money?

[/ QUOTE ]

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I have several of the little units and finally got one to work. I think that some are good and some bad. Buyer beware with the Arc parts I guess. Looks like I will be removing the leds from nonworking regulators.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

there was a reason they were auctioned of as tinkerer grade stuff.
fortunately it is a simple circut and should be easy to repair.
look for solder balls and bridges,tombstones and such.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well ot of 12, 2 are working . One is white led and the other appears to be UV. It emits a purple light, I thought it was screwed up at first then noticed that it was having the same effect as a blacklight on some nearby objects.

I had two others that let out a tiny tuft of smoke out of the boards when I powered it.
the leds on these will not light even when bypassing elctronics.

Of the rest they will work without the boards and are all white except one that's green.

BobVA

Enlightened

I had about the same luck here. Out of ten board/led's I had three working (all white).

I was also planning to pull LED's, but may have a look a working one with some test equipment to see if I can trouble shoot the bad ones (for grins).

Cheers,
Bob

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

The seller PM'd me offerign some working parts to make up for it. I thought that was a really nice gesture on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.