P60 Quad Drop-in information thread

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
f82e15b8.jpg

bfabfa33.jpg

392e1988.jpg

607e4072.jpg

Specs:

Precision machined to fit genuine surefire and FM26XXX P60 hosts.

Single Li-Ion cell operation for energy density and safety.

LEDs individually current regulated.

Integrated thermal shutdown.

Reverse polarity protection. Upside down battery causes no harm.

2KV ESD protection. Resistant to static shock from your fingers.

Low battery warning (drops to low mode and intermittently flashes off quickly).

Mil-Spec Teflon insulated oxygen free silver plated copper conductors.

Silver plated beryllium copper ground spring with gold plated contact.

Gold plated positive contact.

Cushioned shock resistant driver.

Modified Khatod Italian made 10 degree FWHM (tested with XPE) beam. Tightest beam possible from P60 multi-LED engine. More common Carclo optics pictured for comparison are 16.4 degree FWHM. (Frosted version pictured)

Available Tint and Flux:

R5 Cool white 6200K

R3 Neutral 5000K

R4 Neutral 4000K

Q5 Warm 3000K

Available Driver Mode Configurations:

5 mode: Low - Med - High - Strobe - SOS
3 mode: Low - Med - High
3 mode: Low - High - Strobe
2 mode: Low - High
1 mode: High

5.6A silver plated copper Drop-in:

R5 minimum flux calculates to 1780 lumens.

R4 minimum flux calculates to 1665 lumens.

R3 minimum flux calculates to 1560 lumens.

Q5 minimum flux calculates to 1370 lumens.

Thermal Data:

C101 99.99% pure oxygen free copper thermal conductivity: 391 W/m · oK

99.9% pure silver plating thermal conductivity: 418 W/m · oK

LEDs directly mounted to silver plated copper surface. No MCPCB insulation layer. Lowest thermal resistance path possible without extremely exotic materials (e.g. diamond)

4.2A Aluminum Drop-in

R5 minimum flux calculates to 1450 lumens.

R4 minimum flux calculates to 1355 lumens.

R3 minimum flux calculates to 1270 lumens.

Q5 minimum flux calculates to 1115 lumens.

Thermal Data:

6061 T6 aluminum thermal conductivity: 167 W/m · oK (Heatsink)

Pure aluminum thermal conductivity: 220 W/m · oK (MCPCB)

Bare aluminum for best conduction of heat into host. MCPCB screw torqued to 32 in-lb. creating a clamping force of over 1000 lbs. Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste applied between MCPCB and heatsink.

FETtie high current switch

Information Thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/296127

These solid state switches will handle the high current much better than a regular switch. They are a reverse clicky. The thread has some more information and graphs to show performance.

Warning:
These lights can be dangerous. If left unattended it could get hot enough to cause a failure in the battery, resulting in a possible fire or explosion. Do not point light at eyes or skin. This is a very high power device. Do not run unattended.

Last edited:

ejot

Enlightened
Does two mode have memory or does it come on high always?

Does the one mode have the same low batt warning (flashing at lower level), or perhaps just flashing at same brightness?

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
All mode configurations have memory and will turn on in the same mode in which they were turned off.

Single mode has no low battery warning. I will ammend the orginal post to include this info.

A 50% decrease in output (just becoming obviously notable by the human eye) will occur before the low battery warning. For the aluminum version, 1450 lumen will decrease to about 750 lumen at around 3V input with the battery under load. The low voltage warning will kick in at 2.75V. This warning is a safety measure, but it will hardly be needed, as you will be able to see the output decrease once the cell has nearly depleted. Your cells will also love you for recharging them at ~3V under load rather than waiting right until 2.75V.

The graphs in the sales and FETtie thread will give you an idea of how the output starts to drop when cells become depleted.

stoli67

Enlightened
These look great..... No need to wait for the tri-led to become available again!

I am definitely in for one.

When will the sales thread start?

Stoli67

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it really safe with a normal LiCo 'black label' AW, or do I need IMRs?:)

+1 I'd like to confirm these will work with black label AWs.

Also, is it possible to get one without the last mode memory and set to always start at high?

Last edited:

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
The 4.2A version is safe with a regular high quality LiCo like the AW2600 18650 rated for 5A discharge.

For the 5.6A version I would recommend IMR cells. Though I have been told by another member that AW is introducing, or maybe has already, a 2900mAh cell with a max discharge of 5.6A. What a delightful coincidence. :)

Since this Drop-in has a low battery warning, and it's "dead" or "half brightness" slightly before the battery is actually flat, and very easy to tell when your battery is nearing the end of it's charge, I prefer to use non-protected cells.

The protection circuit in a battery causes resistance, drops voltage, builds more heat, and just ultimately robs you of power. This isn't noticable really at 1A discharge, but is most definitely is near 4-5A. This is one reason why IMR cells preform better, not only their chemistry, but they have no protection circuit in the way.

Ultimately your battery choice is up to you. weigh the risks of the safe chemistry IMR lower capacity cells to the higher capacity protected LiCo, which don't deliver the current quite as well. If you're very comfortable working with Li-Ion cells, you know your charger will not overcharge them, then take full advantage of high quality unprotected LiCo for current delivery and capacity.

I will try to come up with a list of recommended cells for each drop-in, and keep adding to the runtime graphs that are posted in the FETtie thread.

The driver memory is set, and unfortunately would require recoding.

The beam on this Quad Khatod is 10 degree FWHM tested with an XPE. The tripple Carclo optic is 16.4 degree FWHM with an XPE, both slightly wider with an XPG.

L2 has a larger diameter and this drop-in will not make appropriate thermal contact. I'm always up for custom work if you must have one for your L2 though. Just shoot me a PM.

Last edited: