WhiskeyPapa's Ingenious Invention

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
WhiskeyPapa\'s Ingenious Invention

We've all seen the way I make three 123's fit a Mag tube -- 5/8" rubber hose split lengthwise for the 2C, with an additional length of larger diameter PVC pipe around it for the 2D models.

And so when WhiskeyPapa began selling his own PVC tubes at BST there was not much attention paid. But he kindly sent me a sample of his creation and I am afraid he has been selling his ingenious product short, or rather, incompletely.

You see, the one he made for the D-size Mags (or other D flashlights) has a lot more going for it than shown in his BST post.

First of all, the tube is of a size to hold 123's. Nothing new there. But the expanded ends are not just to take up the difference in internal diameter to fit the D tube. They are in fact permanently custom cast of a very durable solid polymer material onto the inner tube:

fb350186.jpg

fb350188.jpg

fb3501a7.jpg

Okay, you say, but what's that little I-beam thingy with the copper belt around it? That, my friends, is a spacer so that the total tube length is brought out to the end of the light to match the length of two D batteries and thus mate perfectly with the tailcap spring as designed by the factory, with neither too little nor too much spring tension. On my D Mag mods I have to bend the tailcap spring out and forward to take up the slack, pretty much ruining it for running two D batteries ever again without bending it all back in.

But wait, what about the copper belt? First off it is intended to bridge the electrical gap when placed between two of the CR123 batteries (don't put the spacer at the very front or back of the battery stack, you'll see why in a moment):

fb350199.jpg

But you see how the copper bar is wound around with the ends simply bent inwards? Why not make it permanent, by bonding the ends of the copper bar? Now this is where the genius of the setup begins to show itself -- the copper bar is meant to be replaced:

fb35018b.jpg

fb350192.jpg

YES! Now you can add and subtract and adjust for CUSTOM RESISTANCE!

So to sum it up for those not paying attention and simply lookin' at the pitchers:

1) extremely well made, matches stock battery length for which the light was designed

2) allows boosting of a 2D light up to 9V using the stock spring and tailcap, yet fully reversible

3) allows for variable resistance to match most any mod application.

4) also available in a narrower size to convert C flashlights.

So how much were these again, Whiskey?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WhiskeyPapa\'s Ingenious Invention

They are indeed very nice battery holders!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: WhiskeyPapa\'s Ingenious Invention

i love mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

whiskey kindly provided me some when i mentioned that i had a 5w mod and no way to power it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

the design is simple and brilliant. whiskey is also a great guy!

if he still has any available, i recommend you go try them out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif