Howdy all!

browntown

Newly Enlightened
First post, thought I'd say hello. Couple days ago I was walking the dog with a 5D maglite, and finally came to terms that the maglite just didnt cut it. So what started as a simple web search for a "good flashlight" has ended up in a several day research-a-thon. I had no idea the cool lights out there. I really dont know what im going to get yet, but gee whiz, theres a whole lot of options. First off, I think I'm going to grab one of those little arc AAA's. For years I had the baby maglite, and was always disappointed with it. Those surefire's sure are nice, gotta save some money....

Anyways, hello, thanks for all the information you guys/gals have made available.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf! i hope you are willing to spend a little (a lot of) money...

yes, maglights just plain suck!

very good choice on the arc aaa, almost all of us have one (at least) and we all love them.

surefires are nice lights to be sure, but they aren't the only ones you should consider, arc, streatmlight, tigerlight...the list goes on and on.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Browntown, welcome to the world that IS Candle Power Forums. Pull up a seat and stay awhile.

Don't worry at all about getting an Arc AAA, it will truly be one of the most satisfing purchases you'll ever make. It is much better than a baby Mag (Mini-Mag 2AA/2AAA or Mag Solitare?) yet much smaller...of course it's not as bright as a 5D Mag but there are plenty of other lights out there that will eventually take THAT light's place as well.

Watch out though, you're on a one way road to poverty now! Feel your wallet now, as it will never be that thick again
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. If you're not going to buy at least 1 of everything, you're going to have some tough choices to make. You started out good by picking the ARC AAA. It's probably my most used light, as it's always hanging around my neck for when I need it.
Hang on to that 5D Mag. The 5W LS should be on the market soon & that will be a prime body to convert. Just grab your credit card & enjoy the ride. :>) TX

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Welcome aboard Browntown,

You'll love it here, but hold onto your wallet!

Brightnorm

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Onyx, good thought indeed. I never carry a "big" light when walking my dog, the E2e HA is just right. I think you are right in the liability factor. In my case, imagine a guy walking a XL sized dog (breed maligned by society) carrying a bat with a light bulb on the end down a dark street...
shocked.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
browntown-

Welcome to CPF. You may want to check out the homemade and modified section. They make things that are out of this world.

Hey Saaby-

I finally got the ARC AAA last week. Perfection. I also got one in turquoise. Wow. It was you and that other guy, what's his name?, that first told me about them. Then 100 or so others did too. Thanks.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, Browntown! This is the place where you leave sanity behind and part company with cash pretty fast.
wink.gif

There are 2 downsides to Surefire type lights (123 lithium based incandescant): runtime and cost of batteries.

Don't let the low price fool you. The Brinkmann Legend LX is a very well designed light in the 60 lumen output class for $20 at Walmart. Like the Scorpion, it is focusable and has a Surfire type reflector. I have one and like it alot.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Browntown...

Welcome to the ever-exciting, but always agonizing, world of flashaholism. (When you realize how many great and state-of-the-art flashlights are out there that you really "must have", you`ll immediately begin to understand the "agonizing" part of this happy obsession.)

Your Arc AAA purchase is a great place to start...and then, of course, you`ll need the current Arc LS...as well as its future revisions, of course. And if you watch the CPF, you can still pick up the discontinued, but truly exquisite, Arc AAA`s and LS`s with colored LED`s.

And have you heard about the beautiful Surefire E2e`s, M2`s, M3`s? And, of course, there`s the legendary and truly spectacular M6...the best incandescent flashlight ever made.

Then, of course, there`s the equally spectacular rechargeable Surefire 10X Dominator, in all of its brilliant glory. And, of course, the Surefire A2 will be coming out in the next few days/weeks....

Did I mention the Surefire M6?

Welcome, Browntown...welcome!

And may God have mercy on your soul.

smile.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider carrying a good bright LED light (SL 3C 10 LED??) for an area light & a SF as a backup, for when you need to see farther downthe road. Or the Surge would be a good all around light. Cheap to run. Will run on rechargeables. TX

browntown

Newly Enlightened
Well thanks for the welcome, to start, and in the interests of starting slowly and cheaply, putting on the boots right now to brave the snow to walmart and grab that brinkmann LX, i'll let you know if i can see the dog tonight :)

thanks again for the welcome.

browntown

Newly Enlightened
Well gee whiz, the folks at the Walmart in Cortland, NY dont believe in the Brinkmann LX i suppose, all they had was the 'Rebel'. Ebay here I come.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of stores don't carry them. Before you go to ebay, you might start a new thread in "buy & sell" to see if anybody has one they want to sell. TX

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Welcome Browntown!
If you want a torch that is "the biz" check out Elektrolumens's web site.
www.elektrolumens.com
Wayne Johnson is reputedly one of the best when it comes to torch modding...I have just ordered one of his cyan blasters to add to my growing torch collecton.
The Maglite series of torches form the basis for many of Wayne's creations.
As to what I use at the momemnt... I use my own completely built from scratch torch... the BT2 Cyan. I regularly walk the parents dog at night down an unlit road where they live. The cyan output startles onlookers sometimes.
As you spend more time here, you'll get to know the merits of the various torches, and thier drawbacks too. You'll find yourself wanting more and more torches...torchaholism is VERY addictive...you have been warned!
You'll also get handy tips in getting the best out of your torches, and how to do simple mods.
If you do start modding, prepare to start collecting the torch modders toolkit...soldering iron, cutters, pliers, dremel, multimeter, light meter...
Some of these torchaholics have turned thier hobby into a small business!
Welcome...get ready for an exhilerating journey ino true torchaholism!

Latest posts