Sunwayman C10A XP-G R5 good light?

Z

z_SpotterDan

I have been looking at the sunwayman C10A XP-G R5 and comparing it the the Quark AA R5. From my standpoint everyone love the Quark really well.

But I would ask the Question why don't I here anything about the Sumwayman C10A?

I am looking for a really good do everything torch for my dad for X mas. So I thought I would introduce him to the new technology torches. He has a 2C mag light that he uses all the time. He doesn't like rechargeable's because he thinks there a pain.

So I think the Sunwayman C10A might fit the bill for him for general purpose.

His general perpose for the light would be Walking the dog to get the mail, clipping the light to his hat to dress out a deer, working on tractors. He would probably like the light to go 50 yards since thats what the mag light does.

I dont think he would like the Quark AA because the UI. I think he would like the Sunwayman better because he can just twist what mode of light he wants if it was on his ball cap. With a Quark I think that would be hard to do without taking it off your hat.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Sunwayman C10 XP-G R5? is it a good light . I have heard that even though it says you can run lithium some of them blow up.. did they ever fix that problem?

Sorry for the long post.. I just don't want to get my dad junk and then have him say....See there nothing better than a Mag light.

SixCats!

Enlightened
BUMPING this old thread. I too would like CPF members thoughts on the SUNWAYMAN C 10A. It appears to be a VERY nice light at a reasonable cost. I'd very much appreciate any (especially) first hand/user information. Thank you for your thoughts/suggestions.

Regards,
SixCats!

Nescafe74

Newly Enlightened
My C10A that I ordered from going gear just arrived yesterday, it works perfectly, the click feel is really great, love it. The beam is a little yellowish compared to Nitecore D11.2, but overall is great. Mine arrived with led module a little loose, so if you shake the unit without a battery, you can hear a little rattle sound, but fixed easily.

T45

Enlightened
What type of switch does the C10A have? Reading through the Sunwayman web site, I didn't find anything that states whether it's a forward clicky with momentary on/off or a reverse clicky.

My 100th Post! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

PerttiK

Enlightened
From what I understand, it's electronic switch.
Click on, click off, hold to change mode, double click for strobe.

mlcarson

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to know which battery type is best for this flashlight? LSD NiMH (Enerloop), primary Lithium (L91BP), or just an Alkaline?
I know that the 14500 Li-Ion have no advantage in this flashlight but how about the primary Lithium vs the Alkaline? Any advantage in the LSD NiMH besides rechargability?

Assuming advantage to alkaline is simply price. The primary lithium probably has better storage times and operating temp extremes. Would it also have a longer run-time?

samd

Newly Enlightened
The specs of the C10a state 30 lumens for 35 hours. Do you think that this is accurate? It seems a little high compared to other xp-g lights.

I like the low mode of the c10a and m10a. My flashlight's low is around 10 lumens and sometimes it is too bright.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
A few days ago I got a C10A. It's my fourth Sunwayman light and the most underwhelming of all. Here's my pros/cons that I've observed so far:

- the electronic clicky doesn't always respond, you need to be precise when you press it otherwise it may happen that the clicky won't do what it's supposed to,
- no anodized threads,
- mine has a greenish tint,
- beam has artifacts (beam of my Xeno E03 is much cleaner)

+ small size, also compared to some other AA lights,
+ good build quality,
+ simple UI, strobe is accessed by double click,
+ 4 Lumens low is very practical for indoor use,
+ you get the Sunwayman typical accessories, lanyard (that's rugged and useful), the detachable clip is alright too.

Well, I'm sitting here, wondering if I'm too harsh. I really like the light, it's a small, yet pretty bright eyepleaser. It's just that it doesn't to things better than similar AA lights that cost less, don't expect a "wow effect". I paid 40€ for mine and feel that it might be too much. I have a Xeno E03 V2 that is slightly (but noticeably) brighter and also has quite decent build quality and costs much less. Would I buy the C10A again, if I had to choose? Yes, BUT only if I got it for a better price. Some dealers really overcharge for it, so if you can get a good deal go ahead. I didn't need the light, I got it because I like the design and find it appealing but overall this might be one of Sunwayman's least impressive lights.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for sharing your thoughts. valuable info. i cant find very many reviews of this particular SWM model so any input and comments are always welcome.
contributes to the wealth of info on the great cpf!! :huh:

jondotcom

Enlightened
I also had considered this light and the reported poor switch performance and lack of additional brightness on 14500 killed it for me.

Lucciola

Enlightened
From my understanding electronic switches often cause parasitic drain. Can someone confirm this, maybe even for the C10A? A ballpark figure about the relevance of parasitic drain in everyday life would be great.

Lucciola