How to kill orbitz pop ups?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like 50 percent of my pop ups are from Orbitz.com. Is there anyway to tell IE6 to reject anything from Orbitz? I've tried a pop up blocker before but there are some pop ups I want so I didn't stick with the program. As mentioned, if I can just eliminate Orbitz, I bet that would reduce the unwanted pop ups by half.

Banshee

Enlightened
download and run the program called spybot. Even better is to install ad aware as well. That should take care of all your pop-up woes !1

ChrisA

Enlightened
I'll second Quickbeams proposal - Opera does everything IE does, but it's faster and less prone to collapse... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chris

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for Opera. I've been using it happily for years now. Most of the best new features found on the other big name internet browsers were great ideas pioneered by Opera and then copied by others.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
mozilla is nicer then opera and free well i think so ne ways.its free what i mean is i think its nicer

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Mozilla too -- like it a lot. It allows me to select which pop-ups I want and which I don't want.

Paul

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to stick with IE6, a friend of mine pointed me at PopUpCop the other day. Seems like a good program - adds a toolbar to IE but it can be made to be fairly discreet. It has a "safe list" feature that you can add sites to that you don`t want popups blocked from, and it usually doesn`t interfere with genuine links on pages that have been set to open in a new window, unlike some other popup stoppers I`ve tried.

http://popupcop.com . Free fully featured evaluation lasts a month and it isn`t much to register after that if you like it. It has a load of other features too that can quickly turn off things like Java, ActiveX, annoying Midi background music, animations and those stupid floaty mouse trail things that some Ebay sellers seem to like, that sort of thing. As far as I know it`s decent, certainly not spyware and doesn`t slow things down noticeably.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dark star

Enlightened
I think Mozilla is great - I really like the tabbed browser windows, makes the desktop much cleaner.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I use Popup Stopper myself. If I'm on a page and need to see a popup (some websites use them to display pictures or additional data), I can hold the right CTRL key down while clicking, and I'll get the popup that would otherwise be blocked.

Tomas

Banned
I personally haven't seen a pop-up that I did not specifically request in over a year (other than the one time I fired up MSIE to check the CPF "CODE" function when there was a problem with CPF's Style Sheets).

However, for those of you who ARE troubled by pop-ups: Expect more and expect them to become more agressive.

Here's a news bit: Ars Technica.

T_sig6.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Safari is a really nice browser too. It should be ported to Windows and sold for $25 a pop.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Why pay for a browser like Safari or Opera when alls you needs is proggies like PopUpStopper Pro, or AdSubtract. Both have freeware versions as well as relatively inexpensive "Pro" versions. I got my Pro version of PopUpStopper over two years ago and they DO honor free lifetime upgrades and it has an autoupdate feature similar to Norton's "Live Update" feature. This keeps the ad database always current. And with the pro version, you have an "exclude list" which allows you to add to a list, those sites that you will accept popups from. So far, I haven't seen nary a popup that I didn't want or request. AdSubtract goes even one step further and covers all 3 browsers that I use, namely IE6, Netscape 7 and Mozilla, and will not only block popups, but also "Banner Ads" like ones on this board, et. al. But I still allow banners from this forum for ethical reasons including, but not limited to the fact that the dealers support this forum and provide me with my "fixes" when I am experiencing withdrawal. But I haven seen a banner ad from sites like Yahoo or CNN which I visit everyday, and I don't miss them either.
Sorry for being so verbose in this reply, but I feel that both of these products have exceeded my expectations.

Ed.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Safari is free but unfortunately you have to have a Mac to go with it. I truly wish I could share it with my Windows friends.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Want a really sneaky way to "stop" popups. Edit your windows "hosts" file. The windows will still popup, but they will be blank. Also a good way to block children from specific sites. Just put a line that says:
127.0.0.1 www.<crappy_popup_site_name_here>.com
in the hosts file. Even though they popup, since you cannot go to the site anymore, they will not get an acknowledgement that you ever TRIED to go there. This helps prevent future problems also.

K A

Enlightened
There is a site (or sites) out there with predone host files if you really want to go that route. I think if the host file gets to big it creates more problems than it solves.