New GARRITY LED flashlights at W-M

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stopped by at Walmart and saw 3 new LED lights from Garrity.

One was a single LED flashlight with 3 led battery level indicator (tiny little red, yellow, and green LEDs)

One was a 3 AAA headlamp with 2 LEDs behind little lenses

One was a 3 LED headlamp with 2 2032 batteries for power

One of the headlamps also had the 3 led battery indicator - can't remember which.

Prices from about 9.99 to 15.99...

Sorry, can't find pics anywhere on the web to show you and didn't have spare ca$h to pick them up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Just found their website - no LED lights listed like the ones above... http://www.garritylites.com/retail.html

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New GARRITY & Energizer LED flashlights at W-M

Well, I got there, turned on the cam and the batteries promptly died... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Here's some more info:

Headlamp 1: 3 AAA, 3 LED battery indicator (G,Y,R), 5 function switch: 100%, 50%, 25%, fast blink, slow blink

Headlamp 2: 2 x 2032, Twist to adjust angle (unique), 3 function switch: 100%, 50%, 25%

1 LED flashlight: 3 AAA, 3 LED battery indicator (G,Y,R), 5 function switch: 100%, 50%, 25%, fast blink, slow blink, faceted reflector

AND

New Energizer "LED Trailfinder" - essentially an ArcWhite with a single LED in the reflector and a tiny convex lens built into the center of the plastic lens. Looks beefed up and is a darker color (brown/black)

Looks like this, but a different color: http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=1&id=2

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: New GARRITY & Energizer LED flashlights at W-M

Maybe it's time to go Wallyworld diving...

Some Dorcys are nice enough, and some Garritys are nice enough. And heck, I need some other stuff anyway....

Zigzago

Enlightened
My local Wal-Mart also had the new Dorcy 1 AAA, 1 LED light. There was no price on the rack, the customer bar code scanner didn't provide a price either, and the two clerks on duty in the sporting goods department were busy shooting at each other with BB guns (seriously). I decided not to interrupt them with any questions. Looked like a neat little light, though.

wwglen

Enlightened
I saw (and got) one of the new DORCY 1 LED AAA lights. $5.97 at the local Wal-Mart.

They also has a recharcable energizer flashlight with OFF/Charge - NiteLight/Charge - ON
with an advertized run time of 80 hours on nite/lite and 8 on high. Looks like the LED Arc lite above but white and no florescent.

wwglen

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaaarrrrggghhhhhhhhh!!!

I check my local wally-world about twice a week. They DO have Brinkman Long Life, Legend LX etc, but still none of the NEW. I hope you guys aren't in test markets - meaning that I may have to wait weeks or months to see the new stuff.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zigzago said:
My local Wal-Mart also had the new Dorcy 1 AAA, 1 LED light. There was no price on the rack, the customer bar code scanner didn't provide a price either, and the two clerks on duty in the sporting goods department were busy shooting at each other with BB guns (seriously). I decided not to interrupt them with any questions. Looked like a neat little light, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
We know what you mean by your "Local" Wal-Mart.

I just bought one of the Dorcy AAA LED lights, paid $5.94 for it at my local Wal-Mart.

Just can't beat the place, I check out the flashlight rack and the clearance isle every time I'm in the store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

franken2

Newly Enlightened
after weeks of checking at walmart i finally got my hands on the aaa single led model. what a gem! it's been running alongside my 2 year old arc aaa since 6:30 pm est. after 4 hrs the little dorcy is still hanging in there with it's wider slightly bluer and less even beam. at 6 bucks i think dorcy has a real winner here! I'm waiting to see which one dies first.
i really wanted the 1 aa 3led model but it wasn't there yet? hats off to mr. dorcy!
i'll post which one dims first before too long

Empath

Flashaholic
The different Walmart stores might operate differently. The Walmarts here, and Target, display their clearances on the obscure end displays. The end displays facing the major traffic lanes generally have featured and new items. The opposite ends often have clearance items.

You have to take the road less traveled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Clearance aisle????
Where in a Wallyworld does one look?

[/ QUOTE ]
At our Wally's I always gravitate to the sporting goods/automotive/hardware.. -they are conveniently in the same corner of our store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

p.s. the markdowns are mixed in with the regular stuff, and can often be found in the bins. They will have that "green" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif sticker on them.
Also, towards the end of the month seems to be the best time catch some great little surprise bargains.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Has the Energizer Supercharge rechargable LED been mentioned yet???

I picked one up today. The wall light in the front room had failed, and I needed something for that spot.

It says it can do Nightlight/Economy mode for 80 hours! And full on for 8 hours. Beats the HE77 out of ANY incandescent I looked at! It can stay on in N/E mode, and I'll know how much light that is when it gets dark.

I also found the Dorcy 1AAA LED light. It was $5.94 as has been mentioned. It is certainly no ARC AAA or Infinity Ultra. But for $5.94 I don't see any possible way to go wrong! I bought a little 4 watch battery LED light at Target some months back, and this light has a similar beam while using a nice common battery! I didn't NEED it of course.

I also looked at the Trailfinder LED/Flourescent light. Maybe later. I have plenty of stuff that can do the same job.

But in any case, I'm kinda stoked about the LED Rechargable!!! And it was $12.77. Amazing!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Update on the Supercharge:

a: It isn't terribly bright.
b: It has a focusing lense.
c: The LED is crooked in relation to the focus bumb on the lense.
d: I see no way short of destruction to get in there and do anything about it.

On the plus side, in a total power outage it would seem to be plenty of light. Can do 8+ hours on.

On the minus side, I have an Elektrolumens Starlux 3D that has a bright, wide beam and will go 24+ hours to 50% brightness.

Which one do you think I'll grab in need???

TCG

Newly Enlightened
I bought the garrity single led light at walmart tonight.

The package says Nichia led. The plastic case the light is
in could use some serious improvement. It is not very intuitive how to install batteries. The instructions do
not help, and actually make things worse.
I nearly broke the thing attempting to open the light
up and install batteries. (nighttime in the cab of my pickup in the walmart parkinglot by the light of an arc aaa) The price was approximatly $15 (I left the receipt in the truck and am too lazy to fetch it)

To install the batteries you unscrew the bezel 1/4 turn and remove it. Ite not really threaded, just notched. There is
a o-ring between the bezel and the light. I doubt it does
much. The back of the package says "water resistant" but
this statement has been covered up with a small strip of
yellow tape. (3 times in 3 languages) Once the bezel is removed, you squeeze two small plastic tabs and pull the
guts of the light out of the front.

The light requires 3 aaa batteries. Two below the circuit
board, and one behind. Sort of a strange arrangemnt required to fit the tapered body. The circuit board
measures 0.625x1.60 inches. The power switch is mounted
close to the center of the board. On the front end of the
board the white led extends from the bottom with the leads
bent 90 degrees to point the led forward. Near the front of
the board are three small leds pointing upward about 3/4 of an inch in front of the switch. From right to left green, yellow, and red.

The power switch apears to be momentary. The circuit is interesting. The first press of the switch brings the light
on at full brightness. The green led also comes on steady
to indicate full battery strength. The package claims 162
hours in this mode.

Pressing the switch a second time reduces the light output
to 50%. The package claims 324 hours in this mode.

A third press of the switch dims the light to 25% of full
power with a claimed life of 700 hours.

A forth press of the switch starts the light blinking at a rate of 1/2 hertz.

A fifth press increases the flash rate to about 2 hertz.

A sixth press shuts the light off.

There is a delay factor built into the switch. To activate
the functions in sequence, the button presses much be no
further than about 2 seconds apart. If you leave the light
in any mode for more than 2 seconds, pressing the switch
shuts the light off. The next press turns it on full.
Actually a very usable set up. You select the light level when first activating the light. When you are through, you
do not have to cycle through the other modes to turn the
light off.

When the light is turned off, the battery status light
blinks at about 1/2 hertz.

The bezel contains both a facited(sp?) reflector and an
optic to focus the light. The beam quality is poor. Lots of
rings. The led is not centered very well, you can bend it easily, so even if you do center it, it will likely move.
The optic apears to not be at the best spacing to focus the light. The hot spot has two oval holes that I think are caused by the lead attaching to the die. Hard to describe
what this looks like. Shined on the wall at 3 feet, the
hot spot looks like the face of a grey with its chin cut
off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The beam is much better without the bezel on.
Without the bezel it looks similar to the arc aaa.

In fact, I prefer the light without the bezel and body. Just throw that poop away, and you have an interesting light. This light begs for a better host. This will
probably be my first flashlight mod. suggestions for host?

Lux readings at 1 meter.

44, 21, 13 for the three settings with the bezel.
28, 15, 8 without the bezel and body.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TCG said:
This light begs for a better host. This will
probably be my first flashlight mod. suggestions for host?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought this light a couple of days ago and was also disappointed with the beam. However, I like the switch operation, and I think that the body would be acceptable if the light were much brighter. Right now, it's just too big for a one-LED flashlight.

I am in the process of modifying this light with 4 LEDs. So far the electronics work fine, but the bezel will need major surgery. I'll report more details to the mod forum soon.

Update:

The modification is completed.