Maelstrom G5 with tape switch

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
Maelstrom G5 with tape switch = consistent malfunctions

I've had my Maelstrom G5 for about a week and a half and bought the 4sevens tape switch so that I could mount it on my AR-15. Mounted the whole set-up on the weapon and tested the light. Worked great! Then I went to the range last night, and I'm a little concerned...

We had night deployment training yesterday, which was the first time I would really get a chance to give the light a workout - my mistake. I should have sent some rounds down range ahead of time, but...

We shot two qualification courses just before the sun went down, 80 rounds in total. After wrapping that up, the range lights were turned off so that the range was almost completely dark (a little bit of ambient light from parking lot lights). The drill was to shoot moving targets from 50 yards (for reference I use no optics on my weapon, just the irons). Just prior to beginning the drill, the instructor had us all point downrange and one at a time illuminate the targets to show us the different quality of our lights at lighting at that distance. I knew I had the brightest light out there until it came my turn to light up the targets. I hit the switch and... nothing. I tested the light just prior to the qualification, and periodically turned it on throughout the qualification without problems. I removed the light from the mount, pressed the switch, and nothing. I took the tailcap off and put it back on, still nothing. Rotated the head back and forth once, nothing. Took the head off and put it back on, and it worked. I'm using the batteries that came with the light.

The light worked the rest of the night, but I have an uneasy feeling that this might happen again - and probably in a less sterile environment. Whats more concerning is I dont know what caused the problem. There are marks on both contacts in the head and tailcap where they contact the batteries, but I cant tell whether the marks are from the rotation of these parts against the batteries at install or from the recoil of the weapon. Im wondering if maybe the batteries (well battery in this case since they are sealed together) moved in the flashlight housing just enough to lose the connection?

The other thing I found is that is a little more tricky to change the UI with the tape switch. I'm a very mechanical person, and I simply could not change the UI by rotating the head for the first 5-7 tries. I took the light off my weapon and put the normal tailcap back on to make sure there were no problems with the light. No problems, so I remounted and was a bit more deliberate in rotating the head. I was finally able to get it to change modes, but it was a real concentrated effort. I doubt I will be changing modes in an actual scenario, but wanted to know I could do it.

Not sure what direction I'll be heading now. I love the beam and the brightness, but the failure right out of the box without a way to explain it is very concerning.

Last edited:

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would update this:

I have been having consistent problems with the Maelstrom not functioning mounted on my duty AR-15. A quick twist of the head back and forth solves the issue, but last night was the last time I will have the light mounted on my duty gun. It seems the head is sensitive to side shock. The flashlight is mounted below the barrel of my AR, and I've found that it consistently malfunctions. Last night we had four armed suspects (with military grade body armor and long guns) pinned down in a neighborhood and I was tracking with a K-9 search team when my light decided to quit working in the middle of the search. I brought the rifle up and on target after the K-9 got a hit in an area, and I had no light. Never again.

I am going to be switching back to a purpose built, single mode, weapon light. It may not have the throw of the Maelstrom, but at least I can rest assured it will work when I need it.

dss_777

Enlightened
Thought I would update this:

I have been having consistent problems with the Maelstrom not functioning mounted on my duty AR-15. A quick twist of the head back and forth solves the issue, but last night was the last time I will have the light mounted on my duty gun. It seems the head is sensitive to side shock. The flashlight is mounted below the barrel of my AR, and I've found that it consistently malfunctions. Last night we had four armed suspects (with military grade body armor and long guns) pinned down in a neighborhood and I was tracking with a K-9 search team when my light decided to quit working in the middle of the search. I brought the rifle up and on target after the K-9 got a hit in an area, and I had no light. Never again.

I am going to be switching back to a purpose built, single mode, weapon light. It may not have the throw of the Maelstrom, but at least I can rest assured it will work when I need it.

:eek:

That's all I can say.

(*cough* Surefire *cough*)

Stay safe!

Customerservice@4sevens

Newly Enlightened
Capt. Nemo, I'm very sorry you are having problems with the G5. We tested this model extensively before bringing it to market and did not experience any of these issues. Please contact me via email or PM with your order number or full name so that I may assist you.

Regarding the recoil protection system in the Maelstrom G5 and X7; this holds the batteries in place so that no movement of the cells is possible. The head and tail must be fully tight for this system to be active.

-Trevor

Last edited:

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would update this.

4 Sevens replaced my original Maelstrom and I've had no issues. Was recently in a foot pursuit with an armed subject and the light was banged around on the rifle quite a bit, but didn't hiccup like the last one (Suspect saw the rifle and ditched his 9mm - good on his part...) I have quarterly rifle training at the end of September, so it will get a good going over at that time as well. Not sure what the deal was with the other G5, but the issue seems to be resolved with the new light.

On a side note, 4 Sevens customer service was outstanding. Having a company stand behind their product like that is very refreshing. I would highly recommend them.