What to do if you have no money at christmas for presents......

jason 77

Enlightened
Ok so I have no money, I'm broke, penniless, etc. you get the point.... But I have to give my two brothers something for christmas so I decide homemade cookies and something else. I was in my shop and thought there has to be something I can put together with all my spare parts I have collected over the years.

I decided to try my hand at making a Joule Thief circuit. I had read about this interesting little circuit before but hadn't tried building one yet.

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/joule.htm

So I took a bunch of inductors off of some of the many old boards I have collected, went and bought some magnet wire, and tried my hand at winding the thing....

Amazingly the circuit worked! Here is a picture of it..

img1107mq.jpg

Then I thought maybe I could put this circuit in a little flashlight of some sort. Here is what I came up with... A Joule Thief flashlight that uses all those dead AA and AAA batteries everyone has laying around...

Here is the main body of the flashlight..

img1109d.jpg

I have three of the above from the larger version of this POS flash/work light, they came in a 3 pack small, medium, large from costco. They are pieces of crap that dont work worth a darn, but I kept the metal legs just in case I might be able to use them someday...

img1110l.jpg

I went ahead and cut a pref board to fit in the tube and put the circuit on it..

img1108z.jpg

I cut the tube down to size and drilled a hole out for the switch..

img1111wo.jpg

Here it is put together..

img1112k.jpg

img1115g.jpg

And finally the OFF and ON pictures..

img1113z.jpg

img1114i.jpg

So there you go two Joule Thief flashlights. The only thing I bought was the magnet wire, everything else I already had. I imagine my brothers will probably look at them on christmas day and go gee um thanks. LOL

Oh well at least they will like the cookies...:thumbsup: