Choosing a Quark Mini for EDC...

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Sometime before Christmas I ordered a Quark Mini CR2, and of course that set off a mini, buying spree, and Ive since added a Mini 123, and Mini AA. The reason I purchased the other two was mostly because I really wanted to compare them against each other in terms of size, and how they carried in a pocket. They all appear to be very nice lights for general purpose EDC, and I thought Id post a picture of the three of them for those newbies who are looking for a nice pocket size EDC flashlight.

On a side note, I got stuck with the newer S2 versions (on the 123, and AA), even though Amazon has them listed as R5, the ones I received are S2. The seller indicated in response to my email, that they havent updated the specs since 4 Sevens transitioned to the S2 bins. I dont notice the green tint when using them by themselves, but in side to side comparisons with the R5 CR2, I do notice a green tint. Using them as stand alone lights, I dont notice the green, and even in side by side comparisons the green tint isnt really noticeable on high. The S2 123 is brighter than the CR2, but this could be the slightly bigger/deeper head. In fact when I first tried the AA, I was thinking to myself, great, no green, but then when I compared it side by side with the CR2, the green tint was obvious.

If I had to pick one of these lights, it would be the 123 for the combination of very small size, and longer runtimes. The AA is nice, but other than the convenience of using AA batteries (and it being a bit more thin), I really don't think it has any advantage over the others. The thickness of the 123 and CR2 is a non-issue for me, and I don't notice them in my pocket at all. The AA is noticeably less bright than the CR2 and 123. The AA has less runtime than 123. The CR2 would make a nice stand alone EDC light IMO, and the runtimes are decent, but runtimes are not as good as either the 123, or AA. Still, I would choose the combination of higher brightness and decently long runtimes of the CR2 over the AA, if brightness is a major concern. If runtimes, and AA are a top priority and you don't mind something a little larger (although still easily pocketable) the AA would serve well.

QuarkMiniEDC.jpg

And for a little better idea of scale...

FlashlightSizeComparison.jpg